Suggestions for tripod?

brookie418

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a tripod for my Canon 20D..I haven't used one before. Where is the best place to buy one?

How much were you looking to spend?

Are you going to buy on-line or at a store?

i bought this one and found it very good Giottos MTL9251B Pro Aluminium Tripod With MH5001 head. im in the uk so dunno whee ud get it in the USA

Amazon has it [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-MTL9251B-Aluminium-Tripod-MH-5001/dp/B001G5ZJE0]Amazon.com: Giottos MTL9251B Pro Aluminium Tripod With MH-5001 Three Way Pan & Tilt Head: Camera & Photo[/ame]

How much did you pay puyjapin?

in sterling i paid £117 i think which is about $165 but that was before xmas so may be less now

u may do better to get it fro a UK supply as the dollar is so strong, check on ebay uk

I am wanting a good one that is not a lot of money. I will buy online if I have to, but would like to get one from a store so I don't have to pay shipping!!

I am wanting a good one that is not a lot of money.
What do you consider a lot of money? (just tell us what you think you can spend)
Tripods range from $20 to $2000 and more...so we need some direction.

The basic truth when it comes to tripods; You only get to pick two the the following three options:
1. Built very well and sturdy
2. Light weight
3. Nice affordable price.

$2000 for a tripod??!! Must be for people with a really booming business!!

Well if you are going to put $100,000 worth of optical equipment on a stand...you sure don't want to cheap out on the tripod.

This is the tripod and head combo I'm using: Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Legs with 488RC2 Midi Ballhead

It's a popular tripod/head combo that is pretty decent. There are other brands that some of the more serious photographers use that can cost several times more than the setup above. And there a lot of cheaper tripods out there but most photographers tend to avoid them because they're not steady or well built.

My first tripod was a cheaper Velbon...with aluminum legs and a built-in plastic 3-way head. I'm guessing it cost about $40. It worked fine for what I wanted but now I use Manfrotto legs that are much more sturdy (an a lot heavier) and ball head.

If you don't have any big heavy lenses, you might be OK to start with a cheaper tripod but realize that you will want to upgrade in the future if you get serious about it.

Yeah I guess so. I never use a tripod, but will be doing some baseball pictures soon, and just need something for that.

My first tripod was a cheaper Velbon...with aluminum legs and a built-in plastic 3-way head. I'm guessing it cost about $40.
I have a cheap Velbon too and it worked fine with my old Olympus P&S, but with my XTi and heavier lenses the leg clamps slip and the legs start to retract...lol...now I just use it as a light stand.

I only have a Canon 20D right now with just an 18-55 mm lens, so it's not heavy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back