Suggestions on buying a used camera

Tracybug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My 14 year old daughter enjoys going with me when I go out practicing with my camera. She takes along her little PS camera but I have been thinking it might be nice to get her a used entry level DSLR to learn on.
Does anyone have any suggestions of a good place to find a used camera. Also what camera would be a good camera to learn with?

Thanks,
Tracy

What brand are you currently using?

What's your budget?

Also Jake brings up a good point, may as well be able to use the lenses you've already got.

Not knowing any of that a Canon 40D pops to mind first. Dedicated aperture and shutter wheels are key to learning intuitively (and just shooting comfortably in general), so I'd avoid Rebels and "baby" Nikons.

Oh, and eBay... from a reputable seller of course. (close to 100% positive feedback, and at least a few hundred transactions)

I prefer 'sites like Craig's List over eBay simply because I can meet the person, and test out the gear before buying. If you do buy locally from a private seller, ask them for the serial number of the body and lens(es) and contact the local police to ensure that they don't show up on any stolen property lists. If the seller won't provide that information, walk away.

With respect to 'which' camera; really anyone is good for a starter. I agree with the advice to consider the brand you're already using to simplfy sharing of lenses and accessories.

There are two canon 300d. Very old but cheap also.
Can't change metering or af mode, other than that it's got everything one need to learn.

Last edited:
I didn't even think abpout matching up my brand camera! I have a Nikon 3100

I didn't even think abpout matching up my brand camera! I have a Nikon 3100

Yep, you two can share lenses and accessories. :D Although, the D80 will be able to use more lenses than the D3100. Plus, it has built-in commander mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back