What's new

Suggestions on something small, yet versatile

Wish I could answer in detail but I dont use the olympus flash. It is a similar system to that of the Canon except that its built into the camera rather than requiring a master unit. As with the Canon, its TTL propriatary AND requires inline sight of slaves. Its a quite a bit more advanced than simple optical triggered slaves.

Theres another m43 forum you can easily find... I am positive someone there can provide more intel. The m43 users here are few.


PS> Check expectations.... once you start pushing the system to do exactly what you do on you DSLR, often the conclusion is that you should just bring the DSLR. Many m43 users simply treat the m43 system as a more compact alternate to the DSLR with compromises understood. This is why many also have a DSLR at home as well. Once you figure in the body plus evf plus the dedicated flash plus the longer lens, the whole point of the system may be lost and you end up basically two systems that do exactly the same thing.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #17
Aye I do very well understand your point on making sure that I don't end up fully copying the system in small as well as large (not just for the usage part, but because I really don't want to split my cash between two full systems). Myself I think I'm just aiming for an alternative, smaller setup that will do macro through to wildlife (or at least grabshots of robins/etc seen around the place) which isn't as bulky as my current DSLR approach.

If I can easily bracket mount a flash to the Oly and have good easy control over it then that combined with a regular lens - a something-200mm or so zoom and a few close up lens attachments (eg DCR 250) and the viewfinder and it should be fine :)

I sacrifice, in part, the single item setup that a bridge camera would give for most of those features (mostly in the focal range covered); but I think I've come to accept that I just won't gel that well with a bridge camera long term.
 
Usayit I like your Oly shots! But when I read Overread wants 400mm and I think of the 4/3..well that is almost like a DSLR again isn't it? The Panasonic megazooms are very compact.
 
Usayit I like your Oly shots! But when I read Overread wants 400mm and I think of the 4/3..well that is almost like a DSLR again isn't it? The Panasonic megazooms are very compact.

thanks... its been fun shooting with an emerging system.

Nope because Olympus E-PL1 is a m4/3 camera not 4/3 and there is absolutely no requirement to use Olympus lenses on Olympus bodies. You can mount Panasonic m43 lenses on Olympus and vise versa. In fact, the 45-200mm used to take the sample above is from Panasonic. The 14mm f/2.5 lens mounted on my E-PL1 in the first picture is also Panasonic (note: "Lumix" on the lens cap).

My G1 and E-PL1 share all their m4/3 lenses.

In my opinion, there is very little incentive to buy an Olympus 4/3 lens + adapter to attach to the Olympus micro 4/3 bodies. If you already have Olympus 4/3 lenses, then yes... if not... then no. AF is still operational with adapted 4/3 lenses but even slower than m4/3 lenses.
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #22
Hmm I've been reading and asking around - it seems flash wise the only option (when the hotshoe is already occupied with the viewfinder) is to use the cameras built in flash control via flash light bursts from the cameras own flash unit. The problem here being that if I've mounted a flash beside the camera on a bracket (for more forward light) the flash will be out of sight of the flash light from the camera - similarly if I've got a macro setup there is the similar chance that the optical sensor of the flash won't be in line of sight with the flash on the camera.

One suggestion made was for a fibre optic line (held somehow) between the camera flash and the sensor on the flash unit. This sounds like a neat approach (it gets around the limited reliability and angle problems) without being more complex/bulky than planned. However I'm having a devil of a job finding any examples (most of the fibre optic links are talking about the underwater housing for the camera).

Expo - aye I am pushing it a little to become a mini-DSLR and that, really, is what I think I'm more after. If I go for the bridge cameras they give me the range, but the control interface on them is always more sluggish than on a DSLR. They just don't have that snappy speed to them that I've grown very used to on the DSLR.
 
Hmm I've been reading and asking around -

Interesting... I would suggest posting mu-43.com as someone there is bound to know more details than I. Either that or try it out (if available locally). Maybe someone has the flash AND camera to perform a little experiment on your behalf. (as you have noticed, not many other m43 shooters are commenting... here)

As a side note, there's an ongoing thread over there with samples of the Panasonic 100-300mm zoom which has an equiv FOV of 200-600mm. Its becoming popular among some wildlife and bird shooters because of size, weight, and price. (its still kinda slow though... but hey you can't find a 200-600mm zoom for $560 in any other system)

They just don't have that snappy speed to them that I've grown very used to on the DSLR.

Just to set your expectations, the M43 cameras are not as snappy as the DSLR either... certainly better than P&S and bridge.


Since size is also part of the discussion, I've dug up my original review of the Olympus E-PL1. In that thread, there is a size comparison between the E-PL1 and G1 (which is basically the same size as today's models).

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...reviews/208822-my-thoughts-olympus-e-pl1.html
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #24
Out of interest, one thing that stands out to me fast in that review is the comparison with AF speed - out of interest having used the camera for longer how do you still feel about this AF speed? It seems fine on the cougar but what about a more mobile subject (no no I'm not expecting it to come even close to a full DSLR in AF speed, but a capable speed at least ;)).

The other thing is the top shutter speeds - if I recall right the Oly EPL1 is capped at 1/2000sec whilst I think the Pany equivalent is at 1/4000sec - the Oly EPL2 gets up to the 1/4000sec and a higher usable ISO - however its near double the cost (granted you get the new lens as well in that deal).
 
Overread,

You have found the single major weakness in the system at this moment... AF performance. I always bring it up (even in my review) as its only fair. Its the number one reason why I cannot recommend m43 as a complete replacement for a DSLR. DSLRs with mirrors rely on phase AF while these cameras rely on contrast AF. Simply put contrast AF just isn't there yet... There's an article online somewhere that explains the differences and why. In summary, contrast AF doesn't know if the subject is behind or in front of the focus plane and relies on focusing back and forth searching for focus. Phase AF can determine distance of subject which requires the lenses to be accurately calibrated.. hence sometimes the back/front-focusing issues that must be corrected at a repair shop.

Between Olympus and Panasonic, I can say Panasonic has the heads up on AF although still not in DSLR territory. There's a trick to get Olympus working a bit faster but its not totally effective; a work around. Certainly, the G1 panny + 45-200mm seems faster than my E-PL1. I would almost even admit that continuous focus mode on the E-PL1 is almost useless to me.
 
As for shutter speed limit and price, yes you are right. From a marketing point of view, Olympus doesn't have their act together as Panasonic. Their offerings are a bit confusing while Panasonic seems well organized and focused. A consumer can immediately look at Panasonic lineup and tell the targeted consumer for each model camera. The E-PL1 was suppose to be the lower-end to the E-P2. Many (including me) ended up actually preferring the E-PL1 for other reasons than price (I was actually set on the E-P2 at the time). As such, the new E-PL2 is slotted more as a replacement to the E-P2 rather than the next generation of the E-PL1. Hence the faster shutter and much better build. Its really stupid actually... they should have just named the new E-PL2 the E-P3.

As a side note, the GF1 and GF2 was immediately marked off my list. Their EVF is HORRIBLE!!!! The G-series has really good EVF. GH-series has rather decent video.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom