suggestions?

slc33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a nice portrait lens compatible with a canon 1000D? Budget is about $700... I shoot handheld 99.9% of the time..

EF 50MM F/1.8, OR 50MM F/1.4. IF YOU LIKE BEING FURTHER BACK EF 85MM F/1.8, YOU COULD PROB AFFORD THE 85 AND STILL BUY A 50

I am currently shooting with a 50 1.8 & wanted to upgrade...i'll do some research on the 85.. thanks!

Ok..don't think the 85 is what i'm looking for...any knowledge on the 70-200mm f/4L used handheld or the 17-40 L?

Yeah, I live on that website lol was hoping I could get some professional opinions on a lens from experience...

Then consider what you will use the lens for (REALLY). How often are you going to actually shoot portraits, Do you need a lens that you exclusively use for that?

Consider what else you really shoot, then get one that can serve dual purpose. While I tend to use a certain lens a lot for portraits, that is absolutely not the only thing I shoot with it.

You can shoot portraits with just about any lens.

My favorite lens for portraits is my 70-200mm F2.8 L IS. As long as I have enough space to back up when needed.
The 70-200mm F4 L is a great lens, and has a great price for the quality you get. Of course, it would be nicer to have the F2.8 and/or IS, but those are expensive options.

You might also consider a Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm F2.8. The quality would be good, but maybe not quite as good as the Canon, but you get a larger aperture.

The 70-200 F4L is a fantastic lens for the price. I have had no complaints, but every once-in-a-while it leaves me wanting those missing F-stops.

Is the tamron and sigma compatible with a canon rebel xs? I've heard lots of good things about the L glass lenses...does the tamron or sigma compare?

Is the tamron and sigma compatible with a canon rebel xs? I've heard lots of good things about the L glass lenses...does the tamron or sigma compare?
If you buy a Sigma or Tamron that is (for Canon), then they will work with any EOS camera, including your Rebel XS.

L lenses are Canon's top of the line lenses. You can't really compare a whole brand of lenses to another, but in general, I think it's fair to say that top of the line Sigma/Tamron lenses are about 80-90% as good as top Canon (or Nikon) lenses.....but they cost half as much.

So if budget is an issue (isn't it always?) you can get more 'value' from a Sigma/Tamron, in terms of performance for the money.
For many people, the Sigma/Tamron is plenty good enough. But there are those who need (and many more who just want) that extra 10-20% and so they pay extra for it.

But, also note that top end Canon/Nikon lenses will hold their value much longer than Sigma/Tamron lenses. So if you have to sell the lens later, it may be worth the investment to go with Canon. Heck, you could buy a top end used Canon lens, use it for a couple years and then probably sell it for what you bought it for.

I have the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8. The lens take great pictures and seems plenty sharp. The auto focus is accurate but is somewhat slow for sports. I do use it for shooting motocross and still get a good percentage of good shots.

The Sigma OS version is said to be really quite good, the auto focus is very fast and crisp.

Of course neither lens is as good as the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS mark II, that lens is a beast, but quite expensive.

Yeah...I will be shooting portrait photography only with this lens.. family, maternity, newborn and occasionally weddings... The tamron 70-200mm f 2.8 has no IS...does it still shoot crisp pics handheld?

The tamron 70-200mm f 2.8 has no IS...does it still shoot crisp pics handheld?
That has everything to do with the shutter speed, how steady you can hold the camera/lens and the motion of your subjects. Not the lens itself.

Yes, IS (or VR, OS, VC) is very helpful for handheld shots, but it doesn't help to freeze moving subjects, only a faster shutter speed can do that...which is why it's often better to opt for a larger maximum aperture, rather than IS...if you have to make a choice between the two. (but having both is a best case...not counting the price.)

Most reactions

Back