suggestions?

That would depend mostly on your shutter speed and how you hold your camera. All of my motocross pics are shot handheld, but that's outside, lots of light and a really fast shutter.

This is an example from this summer, probably not the best, but may give you an idea.

IMG_2221.jpg by Canuk313, on Flickr

One more point.

As mentioned, being able to successfully shoot hand held has to do with the shutter speed. You can get a faster shutter speed by using a larger maximum aperture, but the other variable is ISO. You can also get a faster shutter speed by using a higher ISO. Of course, the higher the ISO, the more (digital) noise you will end up with in your images, but noise doesn't ruin nearly as many photos as too slow of a shutter speed (blur). So if you want to be a hand held shooter, don't be afraid to increase your ISO when needed.

Of course, different cameras have different noise characteristics. I'm not sure how good the 1000D is...but either way, it will come down to your own personal tolerance for it. Also, you can significantly reduce noise with software, while it's hard or impossible to eliminate motion blur...so again, don't be afraid to raise the ISO.
And lastly, if this is the style you want to have...it might (eventually) be a good investment to get a camera that has very good (low) noise levels at high ISO. (Canon 5DmkII for example).

Most all my portrait photography is done outside....great pic! Super crisp..thanks!

Oh if I could only afford that camera Mike....i'd be fartin' in silk!! One day...thanks for the great advice!

At canuk...there's several different suffixes to the tamron 70-200mm f2.8....wandering what your exact lens is? Thanks :)

Had to pull it out to check - TAMRON AF 70-200mm F/2.8 (IF) Macro *77 A001. That's what written on the lens body.

Most reactions

Back