Suitable macro lense for Nikon d300. 90-105-or-150mm?

photographyprogess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've gotten curious on macro photography lately, and I would like to get a starter lens. But I'm quite unsure of which one to choose.

I'm gonna use it to shoot insects, flowers and close-ups of products. So I know I shouldn't buy a 60mm. But should I go for 85-90, 100-105 or 150-180?

And as always ... which lense would you buy for macro? (Looking to spend 500-700$.)

I got no experience in macro, so I'm looking for any advices regarding macro and lenses.

The longer the lens the better. The 60mm macro you will be up close and personal with the subjects. The 105 would be better (I own a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 D). But 150 would be better yet. As you still get 1:1 reproduction ratio from a further distance away. I would really like to go longer but have not had the absolute need to buy another lens when the one I have is very good.

Basically the longer the lens, the further you can be away (might not scare living things away).

I use a 70mm and 150mm macro lenses currently - both are sharp, both work well and both work with bugs. But the 150mm is the far more friendly lens for its longer working distance (as a result of its longer focal length). The 90mm you mention I take is the 90mm Tamron macro and its a very solid choice and the shortest recomended macro lens.

For sharpness they are all going to have pretty much the same level of image quality (any differences are mostly nitpicking and at that level in the field your shooting skill and method are going to be far more critical).

As Nikon shooter you do have the option of the 105mm NIkkor VR macro which is a very good choice in that its a macro lens with image stabalizer (VR). Though it has reduced impact at the macro focal lengths it still has some effect and is a great boon to have for doing other work with the macro lens.
Of the sigma options I would push you more toward the 150mm or 180mm simply because of their longer focal ranges and over all better auto focus features (the af on my 70mm macro is sigma and similar to that of the 105mm and whilst it works its rather noisy and slow).
Also note that the 180mm is generally more popular if you shoot from a tripod base more than handhold whilst the 150mm is the prefered option for handholders. It's more of a general thing and the 180mm can be handheld of course

Also what lighting (flash) do you have - macro often demands small apertures whilst keeping a fast enough shutter speed to handhold and ISO can only go so high before it negativly affects the image.

Consider whether or not you are also planning to use it for imaging other than macro. I bought my Canon 100mm f/2.8 because I also wanted to use it as a short tele (which it does admirably) and 180mm was too long for what I wanted. The 100mm is a great macro lens and, if I want a bit more reach, I add my Sigma 1.4X TC,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back