Summer // Beauty Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a recent collab with a local beauty salon. Shot in natural window lighting with overcast daylight and a silver reflector.

_mg_5597_by_danostergren-dc3hx0v.jpg

Another home run. Simply beautiful. I just love when you share your work.

Stunning clarity and color rendition

Very nice as always. I don't mean this as criticism because your talent is such that I'm sure it's intentional, but I've noticed of late that your female skin textures have become more synthetic. Lots of pore texture with a somewhat plastic finish. I'm assuming you're adding a custom skin texture post.

Last edited:
Watch the wardrobe. The standard outfit for hair shoots is a blank tank top or black or grey plain sweater/turtleneck.
If it’s for a hair place, allow a bit more space around the subject.
Would love to see more texture in the hair.

This is a beautiful shot, but it is a little sharper and more textured than normal, and it is a little strong for me. But that is completely personal taste, and it is still a stunning photo!

Very nice as always. I don't mean this as criticism because your talent is such that I'm sure it's intentional, but I've noticed of late that your female skin textures have become more synthetic. Lots of pore texture with a somewhat plastic finish. I'm assuming you're adding a custom skin texture post.

The left side and forehead pore and skin texture is the primary quality that my eye focuses on when looking at this shot. The right side of her face seems smoother, and more "idealized". I've deliberately held off on mentioning anything on this post because, once a person reaches a certain level of photographic proficiency, I don't really think what I have to say has much relevance to them, or will be perceived as unwanted criticism of their personal preferences or tastes or style. Bit since it's been mentioned already, I feel like it's okay to sort of chime in and say, yes, this has a sort of pore-centric, yet a heavy-makeup-applied feeling to it. As JC mentioned, it does have stunning clarity to it. Again...just one guy's opinion!

I may have gone a bit far, and think I may have sharpened it a bit too much as well. She did have her makeup done, and there were also a lot of blemishes to remove. As always, I use dodging and burning to even out skin tones, and the spot healing tool for blemish removal. There was no additional skin texture added. Here is a before and after of the edit:
_mg_5597_by_danostergren-dc3u9se.jpg

Watch the wardrobe. The standard outfit for hair shoots is a blank tank top or black or grey plain sweater/turtleneck.
If it’s for a hair place, allow a bit more space around the subject.
Would love to see more texture in the hair.
Wardrobe wasn't my choice. There are plenty more shots that show more of the hair, I definitely wouldn't walk away from this job with one shot of this girl. This one is just my favorite and I see it as a portrait, not just a "hair shot".

This is a beautiful shot, but it is a little sharper and more textured than normal, and it is a little strong for me. But that is completely personal taste, and it is still a stunning photo!
I probably went a little too strong with the sharpening.

@DanOstergren your ability with the dodging and burning technique you've described to me previously just keeps growing. Thank you for sharing the before and after. I was particularly interested in this one in that there are some beautiful black children I've been trying to photograph, that have the same pebble like skin texture as this young lady. I've struggled to find a happy medium between to much and to little correction.

DanOstergren said:

Seeing the before and after, I would agree, a bit too much sharpening. But Bravo! on the forehead skin smoothing, very well-done on that, that looks just super.

DanOstergren said:

Seeing the before and after, I would agree, a bit too much sharpening. But Bravo! on the forehead skin smoothing, very well-done on that, that looks just super.
Thank you.

Most reactions

Back