Summerhill falls

KenCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.takingthepic.com
My most recent shot.
Summerhill falls in Teesdale, lovely place, so nice I went twice. Much better light this time even though it was mid day but that's about the right time to catch the sun on the falls. This is a HDR of 3 shots 1/1sec, 3sec and 10sec using a c/p, nd and nd grad filters.

sunonsummerhillfalls1po.jpg

This is my second attempt at these falls, this shot was taken after photographing from behind the falls...hence the splashes of water across the middle of the pic.and didn't wipe the lens clean afterwards :oops::oops:.
Would you clone them out???
Bit much work for my liking and ps skill level....but I'd have a go if you thought it would improve the shot that much more!
AND is the processing to much???
C&C most welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Ken.

Excellent shots. Great use of the filters here also. Very hard to get good lighting in the middle of the day, but here youi did an excellent job.

Love the effect of the slow shutter speed on the water. That's some fine lighting, too, the shadowed parts of the rocks still hold detail. Oh, just realized you had a graduated filter on there -- good move!

Technicals aside, it is a very pleasing image. The near-far wide angle effect draws you into the scene and I think the lens flare ADDS to this effect. I would leave 'em in.

Scott

cool shot, looks like you did a pretty good job to me... :thumbup:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments....I have another couple of shots from this place including a few other HDR's which I may upload later.
Thanks again for taking the time.
Ken.

What does HDR stand for?
And what does a graduate filter do?
It must allow for some very long exposure times in the middle of the day, which sounds interesting, but other than appreciate beauty in photos, the technical details tell me only little... But what I see here is beautiful and very, very well done!

Oh,and anyone who can merge three layers in PS does not have "limited skills", I say... and yet I don't see why you would necessarily HAVE TO clone out the flare in the droplets on the lens. Though, admittedly, they are quite many...

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, which is basically what you get when you merge shots of different exposures. You can cover a whole range of tonal values by using HDR..... PS CS2, has a great merge to HDR option..... but it can be done manually.
The graduate filter is like a graduated polarizer filter, just helps get the right exposure on bright days.

But i think this is a great image ken, not over psed IMO, personally i probably would clone out the splashes..... but to some it could add to the effect. Thats up to you really.... great work tho :thumbup:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, very busy of late.Thanks Archangel for your comments and taking the time to explain to La
Foto. An ndgrad is very handy for sunrise/sunset shots, were the foreground would be very dark and a long exposure would simply blow the sun and or sky. The filter itself is basically an nd (neutral density) filter but with the effect gradually decreasing in strength throghout the filter. Not really an essential piece of kit....if you shoot raw and more so with hdr but can save a few shots from going to the bin and time in PS....saying that though, I wouldn't be without mine!
Thanks again.
Ken.

Beautiful image, Ken. There are about 3 splashes that are distracting enough that you might wanna clone 'em out.

The lighting is absolutely perfect! This is one of the best waterfall shots I've seen in a long time. Beautiful!

Okay, I've looked and looked, but can not find anything distracting in this picture! I think it was excellently done and your PS skills are definately better than mine! So, with that said, I really like this shot and look forward to seeing more of your work!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back