Sun blown out in photo

1hdr4u

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How can I make it so the sun doesn't look blown out in my HDR shots such as the one I have displayed here? Should I lower the aperture or lower my bracketed shots or both? Thanks for any advise.

Attachments

• $Park.jpg
    $Park.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 212
The sun is the highlight so shoot for the highlight. Very fast shutter speed.

Yes that you'll expose for the sun but everything else would be complexly dark.

How can I make it so the sun doesn't look blown out in my HDR shots such as the one I have displayed here? Should I lower the aperture or lower my bracketed shots or both? Thanks for any advise.

Well for an HDR you would need to take a LOT more different exposures enough to bridge the gap between a properly exposed sun and a properly exposed foreground.

In my opinion you don't want the sun to be properly exposed. Having it blown out makes it look real. Your image already looks way to over processed.

take enough exposures and learn how to mask in your better looking sun photos into your tonemapped version using photoshop.

Yes that you'll expose for the sun but everything else would be complexly dark.

In an HDR forum you really didnt say that did you???????

I was referring to that single image.

Ether way an image would not look right if the sun was properly exposed.

In an HDR forum we are talking about multiple images.
As for your next statement, well thats your opinion. And of course, you are speaking for all images with the sun in them. tsk tsk tsk. Some light Guru.

This is a really good image that would even be spectacular had you shot a few more much underexposed shots for that bright sun filled area. You might not use all the exposures, but enough to make it perfect.

This is a really good image that would even be spectacular had you shot a few more much underexposed shots for that bright sun filled area. You might not use all the exposures, but enough to make it perfect.

If the intent was to make an image that looks cartoony then sure it's great. If the intent was to make an image that looks material then it fails.

Bingo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to Vip and Bynx they have helped me so much with things they are a big help lots of the times you can combine both of their ideas to come up with one helluva shot

B - I - N - G - O and Bingo was his name-o. Ya I know that song too. With your lack of knowledge you really arent contributing much here and only agreeing with bad advice.

Dude you really need to chill out. You seem to get great pleasure at belittling people online. If thats what you have to do to feel good i think it's rather sad. All I have done is state my opinion. You have a differing opinion and that's fine. But you need to remember its just an opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider for a moment when you give an opinion. The main thing is if its true or not. Just guessing at something or agreeing with a spammer and being totally wrong is not doing anyone any favors. Especially if someone doesnt know any better and believes you. In the case of this photo the OP wants to know how to get more detail in the blown out highlighted area of the sun. It seems that VIP and myself are the only ones who have offered a solution, based on experience, which you say isnt possible or not worth trying. Encourage someone to at least try it before giving up. The final doesnt have to look cartoony at all. But thats up to the OP to determine. You obviously dont have much experience with HDR and thats ok. If the OP had taken a few more underexposed shots, it wouldnt have affected the foreground since it would be totally black anyway. Only the highlighted area would be affected. When detail was achieved there it could be added to the other images to create something which the OP has asked for.

OP- Do you want to put in the thread the original shots? Maybe one of us can do something with it.

Consider for a moment when you give an opinion. The main thing is if its true or not....You obviously dont have much experience with HDR

Opinions are not right or wrong they are simply someone's personal view on something.

I have plenty of experience with HDR, your jumping to conclusions.

Again all i did was state my opinion that the OP should not worry about trying to make the sun not look blown out. It's an opinion is no true or not no right or wrong about its simply an opinion.

I'm just fine if you disagree with me on my opinion. Without different opinions the wold would be boring.

Agree to disagree.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back