Sundown over Toronto

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C/C welcome

AE1_1142_zps32776a33.jpg

I suppose it makes for nice sunsets, but the Hades can you guys breathe all that crud????

I know where Toronto is, but cannot see it in the image.

There are several ways of looking at this image.

If you are trying to create the connection to the city, you need to make the foreground city more apparent, so we can recognize the city – otherwise it is a sunset anywhere in the world. Putting an iconic landmark like the CN tower somewhere in the image would make this connection unmistakable. I do understand that moving landmarks around to fit the sunset image may not be always possible, but here, some planning can take care of that if you position yourself in the right place in anticipation of what will happen.

Another approach would be to use the image strictly as a graphic play, with the dark/blue base, the orange ball and the banding of colour. We could, for instance deliberately break the “rule” that the horizon should not be at the center, and place the horizon at the center, with the sun centered just above it – this would create almost a flag-like appearance, with a dark/blue half on bottom, an orangy half on top and a round yellow “punctuation mark” at the center.

Still another approach would be to zoom in on the sun and highlight the misty silhouettes of the various buildings between us and the sun.

I think your approach has potential – but we need to firm up the “subject”.

There are several ways of looking at this image.

If you are trying to create the connection to the city, you need to make the foreground city more apparent, so we can recognize the city – otherwise it is a sunset anywhere in the world. Putting an iconic landmark like the CN tower somewhere in the image would make this connection unmistakable. I do understand that moving landmarks around to fit the sunset image may not be always possible, but here, some planning can take care of that if you position yourself in the right place in anticipation of what will happen.

Another approach would be to use the image strictly as a graphic play, with the dark/blue base, the orange ball and the banding of colour. We could, for instance deliberately break the “rule” that the horizon should not be at the center, and place the horizon at the center, with the sun centered just above it – this would create almost a flag-like appearance, with a dark/blue half on bottom, an orangy half on top and a round yellow “punctuation mark” at the center.

Still another approach would be to zoom in on the sun and highlight the misty silhouettes of the various buildings between us and the sun.

I think your approach has potential – but we need to firm up the “subject”.
Thank you, that's a great feedback, it will help me a lot next time I take this type of picture.

In this specific picture my limitations were that I had to focus at the sun in the center because I had a building on the right and left and if I would let them show in the picture they would dominate the picture and my attempt here was to have a very "strong red" sundown with mainly the sun dominating the picture.
The haze over the city really made most of the rest of my picture look very dirty but in this case it gave the picture a certain misty look that I actually like.
Zooming more into the picture was something I actually didnt think of, I wanted to have as wide picture as possible without having these 2 huge buildings in my frame.

Thanks again for your feedback it really made me look differently :)

this is going to require shooting several different exposures and layer masking them to make one image. I took it into photoshop and while there is a faint image apparent, it is almost 180 degrees contradictory to the background sunset as per exposure and clarity. A three shot +1 neutral and -1 may be enough though I'd be tempted to go +2 on the foreground, a +1 as my neutral and a Minus 2 for the sky. You can add or subtract to these exposures until you have the combination you like best.

this is going to require shooting several different exposures and layer masking them to make one image. I took it into photoshop and while there is a faint image apparent, it is almost 180 degrees contradictory to the background sunset as per exposure and clarity. A three shot +1 neutral and -1 may be enough though I'd be tempted to go +2 on the foreground, a +1 as my neutral and a Minus 2 for the sky. You can add or subtract to these exposures until you have the combination you like best.

Never done that before, I don't use photoshop :(
I can try HDR which my camera has, never tried that before either but your ideas sound really interesting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back