Sunken boat

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a sunken boat in Richmond, Ca that is only revealed during low tide. I forgot to turn on long exposure noise reduction so this got really messy in the shadows. It recovered fairly well, though. Not great, but still pretty good. I was actually pretty surprised to see how much of a difference LENR makes.

Nikon D800
nikkor 28-70mm at 28mm
f/5
ISO 320
301 seconds

image.jpg

The OP called it. I would love to see more details in the shadows on the left and more of the boat. However this is still a pretty great shot! I love the colors in the sky and the treatment of the water.

I like it, though the composition is a little odd for me, with all the distracting elements off in the horizon, but I would imagine you were pretty much confined here as far as positioning. I had to do a double take on those exposure numbers, it must have been nearly dark when you shot this, or you used a ND, like a 10 stop or so. I say you did well to pull any detail out of the boat. Maybe some light painting would have been fun.

Very nice. 5 minute exposure without a plane or boat going thru!
Can someone explain how the LENR affects a shot like this? I am sure my d7000 has it, but I don't know when/how to use it.
(sorry if I am hijacking)
Nancy

Love it top shot!

Very nice. 5 minute exposure without a plane or boat going thru!
Can someone explain how the LENR affects a shot like this? I am sure my d7000 has it, but I don't know when/how to use it.
(sorry if I am hijacking)
Nancy

Yes your D7000 has it. When you take a long exposure the camera then automatically takes another with the shutter closed, so the frame is all black. This allows it to detect hot pixels and ambient noise on the sensor and remove them (in camera) from the previous shot. In OPs case, this means that the camera would have taken a 2nd 300 second exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back