Sunrise & Sunset for C&C, please.

bevin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys, It's been a wee while. Life's been hectic but still out with my camera a few times a week when the weather allows. Just hoping to get some C&C on these 3 photos :) Cheers

1. Sunrise out my back garden.
3597591502_b0c4547188_b.jpg

2. Sunset over Lake Wanaka from town
3596789143_38cb0fdc1e_b.jpg

3. Sunset over Lake Wanaka from Peninsula Bay
3513757883_3778ee2787_b.jpg

I think the 3rd one could be really nice if you give it some punch :)

That first one is really, REALLY weird, but in a sort of brilliant abstract way. Did you post-process it a lot, or was it pretty much straight from the camera (apart from the odd Levels adjustment, USM, etc)? The second one is OK, the subject is brilliant, as is the sky, but it looks like an HDR image to me, and as such the mountains kinda blend into one another; there's very little contrast to make them stand out. I do think the last one could be made much better by brightening it up a little, and throwing some contrast in there.

Nevertheless, you've got all the composition points bang-on, in my opinion. It's just the more technical aspects of the image that could be improved on.

None of them look in focus to me. #1 is definitely out of focus, but #2 and #3 I am unsure about. Maybe they just need some editing. They are good shots though, except I would have included more foreground in #3. Cutting off the house isn't appealing.

Hey Guys,
Thanks heaps for the comments, really appreciate it.

TamiyaGuy - that was almost how the sunrise looked. Unbelieveably, the colour was incredibly more saturated than is showing up in the photo. Only lasted for about 3 minutes at that intensity so I was lucky to get in my dressing gown and get out in the back garden before I missed the shot!!

I'm having an issue where when I open a photo in Lightroom it seems to lose a lot of the saturation that is present when the photo is taken. Not sure why it does that but then I am only learning all this PP stuff and am pretty much making it up as I go along :)

In regards to the contrast in 2 & 3, the light across the lake is very often, well hazy is the best way to describe it. I'm not sure if this is something that a polarizing filter would help combat or if I need to do something else? But how those photos look is how it looks to the eye also, I don't really know how to combat that?? Any ideas?

Most reactions

Back