Sunrise this morning (Brisbane, Australia)

fadingaway1986

I Burn Easily :(
Reaction score
Website
www.06photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This morning my friend's mum, my friend, and I got up at 5 am to go and catch the sunrise... We headed for Mt. Cootha which overlooks Brisbane.

Unfortunately we got there a little bit late and missed the beginning of the show... But I did happen to take 31 digital photos and around 2 rolls of 24exp film.

Here are a couple of my digital, I will put the rest on my site, so you can look if you want to see more...

DSCF1034small.jpg

DSCF1035small.jpg

DSCF1037small.jpg

This last one is just some clouds from the same time - I like them because they look like someone has put grubby hands all over the sky and it has left marks.
DSCF1055small.jpg

I will upload the rest to: http://www.ohsixohsix.com/coppermine when I get the chance to shrink them all down a bit.

Let me know what you think of these...

Thanks -
Alecia

hi fadeaway!

Whats you time exposure on this? what are the specs? Tripod/handheld? I love the sky, but it would be great to see a bit more of the city here.

Number Speaks the most to me, the sky is just slightly better in two, but you get that cool reflection in the river/lake on the left in one. In 2 and 3 they get cut out.

You can bring out the city by using screening mask in photoshop.

Let me tell ya getting these shots to expose correctly is tricky business. I either get the sky just right and the landcape is too dark, or I end up blowing out the highlights in the sky to expose the landscape correctly.

Anyways, thats a heavenly sky you've captured there, looks like I wasn't the only person up this morning to try to catch the sunrise! Good stuff :thumbsup:

Nice pictures, fadingaway1986. The sunrays and unique color tone they have make for an interesting picture. When look at the pictures, I wished you had a panaranmic camera but that's just getting picky. :wink:

vonnagy said:
hi fadeaway!

Whats you time exposure on this? what are the specs? Tripod/handheld? I love the sky, but it would be great to see a bit more of the city here.

Number Speaks the most to me, the sky is just slightly better in two, but you get that cool reflection in the river/lake on the left in one. In 2 and 3 they get cut out.

You can bring out the city by using screening mask in photoshop.

Let me tell ya getting these shots to expose correctly is tricky business. I either get the sky just right and the landcape is too dark, or I end up blowing out the highlights in the sky to expose the landscape correctly.

Anyways, thats a heavenly sky you've captured there, looks like I wasn't the only person up this morning to try to catch the sunrise! Good stuff :thumbsup:

Hey,
I am not sure about the time exposure - I can't do that on my camera because it is pretty much just a point and shoot digital. These ones were taken hand held, because i had my other camera on my tripod. I was leaning on the railing if I felt I needed to (it was 5am and I had had 4 hours sleep - I needed to lean on things)...

I tried to take some shots of the city afterwards with my slr, but I printed these at work this afternoon and they didn't look to great - pretty washed out. There were some hot air balloons floating around - but they were pretty far off in the distance.

How do you do a screening mask? Can I do this in paint shop pro?

All in all - I am happy with this attempt... (although it took about 2 rolls of film plus 30 digital).

I noticed you were up early this morning too - Your photos look great. I am still trying to work out the last one you posted though...

Thanks for your comments

- Alecia

hahah I knew someone was going to do it. Unfortunatly i have to develop the film before i can post any!, but urs look better than mine anyway. I took the photos from my balcony overlooking the brisbane harbor in the distance. Get's in the way of the beautiful sunrise.

Going to do it?

And why? Did you mean today? Or from Mt. Cootha?

Was there a reason I should be doing it today?

I tell you what - I am buggered - I have just gotten home from work... I have had 4 hours sleep, my feet hurt and I think I have bruised my shoulder for carrying my stuff around for an hour...

(We went to the JC Slaughter Falls on Mt. Cootha afterwards, and I took my tripod, my bag full of everything and my SLR - and old SLR's ain't lightweight! And we thought we had missed the falls because there was hardly anything there, so we kept walking, eventually we realised we had actually seen them and they were just crap... and my photos didnt turn out because i couldn't be bothered with my flash...)

Oh well...

Good to see another Brisbane person here by the way. Whereabouts are you from? I'm from Ipswich (I wasn't born here, so you can't hold it against me).

Love the colors and patterns in the first three although it might have been neat to zoom in on the sunrays somewhat.
The last one is interesting but I would have liked to see some reference to the ground or whatever.

mrsid99 said:
Love the colors and patterns in the first three although it might have been neat to zoom in on the sunrays somewhat.
The last one is interesting but I would have liked to see some reference to the ground or whatever.

Thanks for your comments :)

Just for the record - that was zoomed :lol: I have to pick my photos up from work tomorrow - that camera has better zoom - I think there might be some that are zoomed in on the rays there - not sure...

I do have some that have the ground in them aswell as the fluffy clouds, but I just love those fluffy clouds... I don't think the ones with the ground look as good... it doesn't show up the fluffy clouds as well as it should...

thanks again..
alecia

Funny to find out that this weekend apparently was the "early-rising-weekend" for most people on the southern hemisphere: you got up extra early, Alecia, Mark in New Zealand did... :lol: So nice.

There's the first of second of the sunrise photos you have put up here that made me think instantly "Glorious". But the bottom part is so black. That's a pity. The sun rays as they shine through the clouds, however... "glorious".

hahah no i just mean that it was a beautiful sunset, i knew someone would have taken a good picture of it. Was definatly worth it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back