GFX 50R
f/8.0
ISO 100
1/500 Sec.
GF45mm F2.8 R WR
35 mm Equivalent

(Processed In LR & PS)

20210327-untitled-4-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Thanks For Looking Any Comments/Criticism Will Be Appreciated.

Cheers,

Enezdez

great photo, inspiring ... what an awesome trick to make the bottom part looking almost desaturated Vs beautifully coloured sky ... only what I'd do is additional noise removal .. I feel it bit distracting because in the sky it's just very visible ..

great photo, inspiring ... what an awesome trick to make the bottom part looking almost desaturated Vs beautifully coloured sky ... only what I'd do is additional noise removal .. I feel it bit distracting because in the sky it's just very visible ..

@ntz You say trick...there as no slight of the hand but of the eye... lol....thank you very much!

Very nice but I agree with ntz on the noise.

@ntz and @K9Kirk ...the problem with today's photography we seek perfection in an imperfect world...that, that you call noise...is not noise but rather "GRAIN"...like the days of film.....

@ntz and @K9Kirk ...the problem with today's photography we seek perfection in an imperfect world...that, that you call noise...is not noise but rather "GRAIN"...like the days of film.....

I've been considering this option also ... then unless your photo has some really small resolution, this visible grain will not make it better when printed that into some larger format ... if I can see a grain on my 14'' laptop screen on the photo that is actually 1000x1000 pixels, then the grain is way too much grainer ;)

Love this. I'd print it.

I've been considering this option also ... then unless your photo has some really small resolution, this visible grain will not make it better when printed that into some larger format ... if I can see a grain on my 14'' laptop screen on the photo that is actually 1000x1000 pixels, then the grain is way too much grainer ;)

I agree with all that but it's not so bad it can't be removed without affecting the sharpness too much. GL with whatever you choose.

Nice scene tho I'd prefer all colour or all b+w, personal thing. Don't see the noise as a major issue. It's visible but not overly distracting imo.

Nice scene tho I'd prefer all colour or all b+w, personal thing. Don't see the noise as a major issue. It's visible but not overly distracting imo.

I agree that on this size, when I look on that on screen that it's OK ... on the other hand, I've spend in last two weeks a quite some time with printing some my photos physically and based on that experience I am sure that with big nice print (say 50x50cm) the grain will be very visible and it will look unnaturally ... I have some film cameras, I am shooting on them, the most with Flexaret IVa and I know how grain looks like (at least I am using Ilford films), in my opinion on this display size (looking on that on 14'' laptop screen) the grain should not be that visible

Just to clear up a point, digital images don't have "grain" they have "noise". "Grain" is the random physical texture made from small metallic silver particles found on processed photographic celluloid. "Noise" in digital is random variation of brightness or color information in the images captured as the result of degradation in image signal caused by external sources. Now you can simulate "grain" to some extent via software, but it's still "noise".

Whether "noise" is objectionable in a large print is a function of cropping, file resolution, PPI, and viewing distance of the print. In a 51.4 MP GFX medium format image unless its cropped heavily (which it doesnt appear to be) there is more than enough data in the file to provide sufficient resolution to print up to 16x20 or even 30x40, without objectionable distortion caused by noise in this particular image. Obviously you will not be viewing a 30x40 at arm's length from your face, like a monitor.

Finally faux grain and selective color as used here were composition choices made by the photographer. As viewers we all have the choice to like or dislike his composition, but beyond that, the fact remains that it was his choice, and as the viewer should be respectful of it.

Just to clear up a point, digital images don't have "grain" they have "noise". "Grain" is the random physical texture made from small metallic silver particles found on processed photographic celluloid. "Noise" in digital is random variation of brightness or color information in the images captured as the result of degradation in image signal caused by external sources. Now you can simulate "grain" to some extent via software, but it's still "noise".

Whether "noise" is objectionable in a large print is a function of cropping, file resolution, PPI, and viewing distance of the print. In a 51.4 MP GFX medium format image unless its cropped heavily (which it doesnt appear to be) there is more than enough data in the file to provide sufficient resolution to print up to 16x20 or even 30x40, without objectionable distortion caused by noise in this particular image. Obviously you will not be viewing a 30x40 at arm's length from your face, like a monitor.

Finally faux grain and selective color as used here were composition choices made by the photographer. As viewers we all have the choice to like or dislike his composition, but beyond that, the fact remains that it was his choice, and as the viewer should be respectful of it.

I was only sharing my opinion ... nothing more ... btw here is attached out-of-camera JPG from my fujifilm x100F with MAX grain level enabled ... it's basically comparable ... image is resized to be 1000x1500 (shorter side to 1000), before resizing the original image is way too grainy so that it would not be really improvement to print that or have it bigger ... I totally and absolutely respect the author's decisions and I realize well that I am viewer .. I am only saying, that if I can see a grain (or noise) on 1000x1000 digital image, it's in my opinion too grainy (or noisy) - if that has been artistic intent, I respect that and just sharing my opinion ...

DSCF3506-1500x1000.JPG

the original image is way too grainy so that it would not be really improvement to print that or have it bigger

I suspect that you're still confusing actual "grain" from film with noise or faux grain in digital. "Grain" on film is physical, "noise" or faux grain on digital is not. The "noise" in a digital image doesn't necessarily behave the same as film, for the reason I've already stated above.

As to sharing opinions when offering critique on an image it's always wise to first determine the artistic intent of the photographer. It's also important that the OP give some insight behind the intent of the image and the type of critique they are seeking, if they really are seeking input. Vague comments such as comments/critique welcome, generally result in vague responses. There is a specific sub-forum C&C READ FIRST - Welcome to the C&C Gallery! for serious critique, the guidelines for both those who post and those who comment in the gallery are equally good for this gallery as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back