Sunset at the Willamette Heritage Center at the Mill

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend was getting married. I stole away to grab some images of the venue after the rehearsal:

Sunsetmill2.jpg

SunsetattheMillsv4.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. What are the shapes/reflections on the red building on the right in #2?

Rotanimod - do you use layer masks to mask things out? Also are you aware in photomatix you can select the areas to remove ghosting? You probably do if not its really cool and also you can select different exposures for different areas.

The reason why I say this is because the water in the second photo I think would benefit from using the ghosting selection mode and select all the water and then choose what exposure you want. You can then later on add in or out in photo shop with some masking.

in regards the the flares , unless you have nano coating or a polarizer on the lens you will sometimes get those flares and even then you still get flares. If its not bad it does not bother me if ifs bad as I have had in my past pictures I then will try to clone and spot heal it out.

As far as these two photos go, I like #2 the first one I just don't like the composition and building from that view.

The 'flare' looks like maybe it could be caused by out of focus water droplets on the lens

Rotanimod - do you use layer masks to mask things out? Also are you aware in photomatix you can select the areas to remove ghosting? You probably do if not its really cool and also you can select different exposures for different areas.

VIP I find both of the questions to start out the response not very well thought and bordering on insulting.

You asked me if I use layer masks... of course I use layer masks. You've seen countless photos that I've produced as well as edits on others photos that couldn't be accomplished without masking. I've discussed manually blending HDR with masking on this board many times. I've mentioned masking in a number of my posts where I explain my steps in processing (e.g. shootout, friendly edit). This question just seems to come from way left field. On a regular basis I level mask, group mask and level adjustments mask-- All things I do on a daily basis, but more or less irrelevant.

You asked me if I knew that in photomatix I can selectively remove ghosting... I have probably been using photomatix for almost a year (longer than you, if I'm not mistaken?), so yes I am aware of the de-ghosting features it offers. I've also used lots of other HDR software besides Photomatix and IMO Photomatix deghosting is far superior. I'm well aware of the features it offers and have made countless posts in this forum where I advise others to deghost their images or in shootouts where I've mentioned deghosting as a step in my editing. I've even recommended to you specifically in a number of your images that ghosting was a problem.

I think by now it is no secret that I use all the same software you use (maybe even some you don't) and am competent with all of it. So it's a bit obnoxious in the last week you've asked me in two different threads if I know about basic editing functions.

The reason why I say this is because the water in the second photo I think would benefit from using the ghosting selection mode and select all the water and then choose what exposure you want. You can then later on add in or out in photo shop with some masking.

With that being said, in the second photo I took 7 different exposures. I wanted to the water to look smooth, so I chose a longer exposure to show movement, but some of the water was blown in that exposure. So what ended up in the image was a combination of a couple different exposures in the stream, which is what you're probably seeing. There wasn't really a happy medium, unless I wanted the shutter to look very fast on the water.

in regards the the flares , unless you have nano coating or a polarizer on the lens you will sometimes get those flares and even then you still get flares. If its not bad it does not bother me if ifs bad as I have had in my past pictures I then will try to clone and spot heal it out.

As far as these two photos go, I like #2 the first one I just don't like the composition and building from that view.

The more i look at image 2, the more I don't like it. The flare bugs me, the water doesn't look great. It's too bad because the scene had potential, and I do like the composition. I'll post an edit where I mask in the 0EV of the water and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for info on lens coatings and giving some feedback on the images. Don't take what I've said the wrong way, you just need to consider your audience or questions can come off the wrong way...

Last edited:
I reread my post and I don't see how you can take it insulting. I just asked a question and figured you did, BUT if not I offered some friendly advice. If you took it insulting you must have a personal problem your dealing with because I just understand why you would get so defensive on just a question.. You should take a chill pill dude......

I don't know maybe the word "aware" is what pushed your buttons thats the only thing I see after reading the first few sentences over and over.......

I must of not remembered that I asked you before about editing, I have a busy life and post in a few forums and sometimes don't check back in time...

You should not feel that you have to explain yourself so in depth about your knowledge and what programs you are using and how many times you have told people to de-ghost, it was "just" a simple question and a simple answer would have been fine.

I reread my post and I don't see how you can take it insulting. I just asked a question and figured you did, BUT if not I offered some friendly advice. If you took it insulting you must have a personal problem your dealing with because I just understand why you would get so defensive on just a question.. You should take a chill pill dude......

I don't know maybe the word "aware" is what pushed your buttons thats the only thing I see after reading the first few sentences over and over.......

I must of not remembered that I asked you before about editing, I have a busy life and post in a few forums and sometimes don't check back in time...

You should not feel that you have to explain yourself so in depth about your knowledge and what programs you are using and how many times you have told people to de-ghost, it was "just" a simple question and a simple answer would have been fine.

You're an active member of this forum and by this point should know at least a little bit about the different members here.

I would not pause to ask you the same question because I already know what tools you use.

I wouldn't ask most of the regulars on here, either, if they know basic functions of their tools to create HDRs.

The reason I ask is because this and don't take this personal. After I view many of your images I see blown out areas in lights and water. Many of your images are very soft and flat. So I wondered if you use masking to help bring out the dark tones back in. If thats the way you like your photos and thats your processing style cool no worries we all have different tastes.

You had posted many times about my composition and I heard you, and have really tried to do better, I hope that it is showing and I know that in other forums people have said I have had good comp on recent uploads. The same way you saw in my past photos and kept commenting about it (because you saw no change in my pictures over a period of time,,,,I assume). This is the same way I see many of your photos with the blown out areas and some ghosting....

With that said, dude I apologize if I offended you....

relax:sexywink: its just Tuesday;)

I will keep in mind you understand it all and choose to edit your way :thumbup:.

The second image looks rather flat to me.

The first one looks better. I think you could correct the distortion though. The bendy flagpole is a little bothersome.

The second image looks rather flat to me.

The first one looks better. I think you could correct the distortion though. The bendy flagpole is a little bothersome.

Thanks Bitter, noted. I'm probably just going to go back to square 1 with #2.

The reason I ask is because this and don't take this personal. After I view many of your images I see blown out areas in lights and water. Many of your images are very soft and flat. So I wondered if you use masking to help bring out the dark tones back in. If thats the way you like your photos and thats your processing style cool no worries we all have different tastes.

You had posted many times about my composition and I heard you, and have really tried to do better, I hope that it is showing and I know that in other forums people have said I have had good comp on recent uploads. The same way you saw in my past photos and kept commenting about it (because you saw no change in my pictures over a period of time,,,,I assume). This is the same way I see many of your photos with the blown out areas and some ghosting....

With that said, dude I apologize if I offended you....

relax:sexywink: its just Tuesday;)

I will keep in mind you understand it all and choose to edit your way :thumbup:.

Lol, why would you apologize and then make a snarky comment to boot?

This post is all over the place-- "don't take this personal but all your photos are flat and soft and blown out and suck".

:lol:

Yes, if I've been a thorn enough to get you to actually think about how you are composing an image, and not just think that HDR is the end-all be-all and will save any picture from the depths of suckassery, then i've accomplished something.

So I accept your apology, hold the snarky remark, with a side of ttyl.

I think your looking into it to much dude....I learned to take things with a grain of salt over the time and know that the post do not show true emotion to what the person means.

No ill intention was ever intended in anything I have said. Just don't read into it as much, If I can also be of any assistance to you and your methods than great and thats what I am trying to do as to be
an active contributing member.

Peace!

Most reactions

Back