What's new

Sunset Critique

dylanstraub

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
356
Reaction score
11
Location
Delaware
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
View attachment 14627 $Funky Sunset.webp

I originally shot this with a variable ND filter and as you can see even at a low level I got a lot of gray in the shot. There was a huge cloud bank overhead which blew out most everything except the sun. In the second shot I attempted to change the gray to blue but it didn't quite turn out right so I changed it to purple instead. C+C if anyone wants to comment and also if anyone can give me an idea how to change this to blue without looking flat I'd like to hear about it. Thanks for looking.
 
Your purple edit doesnt do it for me.

What you need is to take your first edit and up the contrast. Make the backs black and make the reds stand out.
 
What do you have against grays? I'm with sovietdoc on this one. Intensify the contrast by darkening the gray.

The purple seems overpowering and completely fake to me. A subtle blue might work, but i'd probably need to be a gradient that could pass for natural. Blue/Gold combinations often work well because they're opposites on the color wheel so they create a natural type of color balance.

Photos of sunsets are a tough to get noticed. I once had someone wisely advise: Sunset's are cliche. Everyone shoots them. If you're planning to enter a photo contest and you plan to enter a sunset, it had better be the best $@#! sunset you've ever seen in your life -- otherwise don't bother.

That's a strong statement against sunsets, but it makes a valid point. It's tough to impress people with them unless they REALLY stand out (and not many qualify.)
 
Have to agree with you on that one Tim. This is my usual birding honey hole but I only saw small birds so I shot the sunset instead. I'm not sure if I should have used the ND filter but what's done is done. With that said here is the final edit.

$Sunset final.webp

I still don't like the blue but it's the best I could get out of it. I added some texture as well. If anyone wants to have a shot at this feel free.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom