Sunset for C&C

Shane Anderson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

Just starting out with SLR photography, got myself a D5000 at Christmas.

Took this shot as a bit of an opportunity on a recent work trip. Lens is the kit 18-55.

Metadata - F/13, 1/160, ISO200, focal length 18mm.

No filters were used, and I've done a bit of post-processing in Capture NX2 to boost the contrast a little, increase the saturation and sharpen. Also cropped at top and bottom.

My own critique - the foreground seems a bit underexposed, although perhaps there is more to be gained from some processing steps to bring out some detail.

Thanks

Shane

GoldstrikeSunset.jpg

Your analysis is good. The foreground is underexposed, at the time of the shot a graduated ND filter would work (you may have known that).

You could do some more in post to lighten the shadows in the foreground.
I took a shot at it, but noticed your profile doesn't say it's okay to edit photos, so I didn't post it.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks. I changed my profile options, OK to edit my photos now.

Yeah I did realise a graduated filter would help but I don't yet have one, probably next on my list of things to get.

Also I want to understand more about selectively processing areas of the photo e.g. working on shadow detail.

I've been reading a LOT of landscape books over the past month and some use split grads all the time, others just do HDR. Personally, I like the instant results and the 'raw' artistic feeling I get when I'm using a split grad, almost like I'm literally painting with light, (just got mine recently and have used them once) as opposed to post processing. However, they do require a lot more work to adjust them and change them, keep them clean and safe... not to mention the possibility of IQ loss. Just a personal preference really.

I think the area would be a great place to take some shots, but because it's so backlit, the entire ground is underexposed and has no detail, including the mountains. This would be better at sunset so you would get some color in the shot, other than what's in the sky.

Also, there's nothing in the foreground that catches my attention. I think I'd like to see less sky, and more foreground... this, I think, will give a greater sense of depth... walking my eyes from front to back as opposed to immediately going to the big white/yellow blur in the sky.

I think there might be a better crop available using your original image as it sounds and looks like you cropped out quite a bit, especially if you have the RAW file to work with.

Here's a quick tweak. I used ACDSee Pro3 which has advanced lighting (shadows/highlights). You point and rigth click and drag up or down and anything in the matching tone band is adjusted.

In NX2 you could use control points to to similar and adjust the shadows/highlights.

p667499379-4.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. If I had the time I would have got the tripod out and taken several shots at different exposures to capture a wider dynamic range

I will play around on the weekend and see what I can do with some of your advice.

Cheers

Shane

Most reactions

New Topics

Back