What's new

Sunset in rain

BlakeL

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Western Washington
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
100_0487.jpg


100_0488.jpg


I took these photos a couple weeks ago, and I submitted them to the Washington State High School Photography Contest. These are two photos that I am very proud of. Just thought I'd share.
 
Maybe a little grainy, but really nice. Anyway you could reduce the size, making them smaller would be a little easier to see the image as a whole.
 
Maybe a little grainy, but really nice. Anyway you could reduce the size, making them smaller would be a little easier to see the image as a whole.

I didn't realize how big they were until I posted em. :blushing:

As for the graininess. I really love grainy photography, so I always shoot with a high ISO. But the sky does look a little grainy in these, you are correct.
 
As for the graininess. I really love grainy photography, so I always shoot with a high ISO.

The problem with digital is that high ISO doesn't just add grain, it also adds colour noise, which for me ruins the shot.

I love grain as well though which is why I have gotten back into B&W film photography. There is something so authentic about ISO 400+ B&W film.
 
Few things. Clean your lens. Those flares are from dust on your lens. Actual lens flares would be in line with the light source through the centre axis of the lens.

Also run through a noise reduction filter, just reduce the colour noise if you want to keep the noise effect. Colour noise looks very bad, luminance noise can look good at times.

If you a really a fan of high grain I suggest you investigate "Alien Skin - Exposure" plugins for photoshop. Shoot low-ISO and than use the plugin to add a lovely and smooth film grain over the image. It allows precise control of size of grain and the amount in the shadows, midtones, and highlights. example from christmas shot on digital : http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/2137513576_4401eacf41_b.jpg

???DOESNOTCOMPUTE???

Open a photography book from the 50s. They are full of shots that many of us can never hope to achieve. Oh and they are fuzzy and grainy too but contain more emotion than the perfect crap most people shoot. Don't fear the noise, become one with it.
 
Its not the grain that bother me, but rather the first photograph just looks like your staring straight into the sun and hurts your eyes. and the lens flare isn't pretty either.

I did a pretty OK edit of it just now. Let me know if its ok to post it .
 
If you a really a fan of high grain I suggest you investigate "Alien Skin - Exposure" plugins for photoshop. Shoot low-ISO and than use the plugin to add a lovely and smooth film grain over the image. It allows precise control of size of grain and the amount in the shadows, midtones, and highlights. example from christmas shot on digital : http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/2137513576_4401eacf41_b.jpg

This is advice worth taking imho.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom