What's new

Super Charged V8 Farmers

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
1,319
Reaction score
161
Location
Eire
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tractor Pull.webp
I took a series of photos at a dragster type event, Tractor Pulling, I would like some FB on this one as they are all pretty similar.

Should the thing on the left be removed or should more be shown ?
Likewise is there to much open space on the right ?

I suppose you should probably say if the thing is any good overall.

Thanks.
 
Pretty good to me. The thing on the left doesn't bother me.
You did capture the tractor in motion which is the main idea so winner.
 
The thing that I am concerned about is that I'd lose the thing that's tractors pulling in a print & then in a mount. Would that detract from the thing.
 
Very cool. I like the "thing" on the left and I like the space on the right...With the tractor being in motion, I think that extra space "works."
 
Without 'the thing on the right' (called the sled), the viewer might not know it's a pull event.
 
I would like some FB on this one ..

Was that C&C?

If so, I will offer this; straight side shots (whether they include the sled or not) are going to be rather ordinary. If the future, try to find some different vantage points. Also, remember - you can take pictures when they aren't pulling, too.
 
Without 'the thing on the right' (called the sled), the viewer might not know it's a pull event.

Yes that's my feeling, I have others shots the same tractor, with more if the sled but the the tractor hood decal is not as sharp which is a pity
I would like some FB on this one ..

Was that C&C?

If so, I will offer this; straight side shots (whether they include the sled or not) are going to be rather ordinary. If the future, try to find some different vantage points. Also, remember - you can take pictures when they aren't pulling, too.

Yes I know, it was more of an exercise really
 
You did a pretty good job of panning - the tractor is sharp, but the blurred tire and blurred background both sugges a lot of speed. The direct side-view, however, makes it seem fairly static and removes a lot of the human interest.

Depending on what effect you're after, there's a couple of different things you can try. One is to shoot at about a thirty degree angle relative to the track. You're generally far enough to the side to be safe, but you can get more of the set-up to show what's going on. You also get a more 'personal' interaction with the driver (and sled operator, if there is one) that will 'human interest' to the shot. If you wait till you're at about a sixty degree angle, on the other hand, you'll still have a lot of the 'human' factor, but you can get more of the blurred-background effect you have here.

The other thing you can do is vary shutter speed. You've used a relatively slow shutter here to get the motion blur, and as mentioned above that's good for giving the sense of speed. I like to use a fast shutter, though, to give a better feel for the power these things produce. If you get the timing right you can 'freeze' the rear tire and get a good shot of the stress deformation bands these things generate. It may just be the techo-geek in me, but I think those stress-band shots are totally cool!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom