What's new

Super Moon

Sorry guys, Frequency is one of the nicest, genuine, constructive guys on here. Flasharps is basically an unknown. I didn't like his tone with Frequency, of course I'll come to his defense.

Super moon...but dead center moon too...why ???

Regards :D

It's a closeup of the moon. Nothing else in the sky. Completely clear. Why not???

I wasn't trying to frame it with a tree, mountain etc. Sometimes it's nice to see just the moon......

Frankly, I didn't like his tone with me either and honestly the root of a lot of the problems on the forum is people like him. It's pretty ironic that he's the one complaining about forum conduct :lol:.
 
Whilst photography is an art form, getting "defensive" just because someone disagrees with you, and claim that it's "art", and that not all will enjoy it... that is a bad attitude, I think. People are of course giving you their own opinions, but there are many guidelines and "rules" in photography that make a compelling image. Paying attention to when people disagree is clever.

Not directed at you, OP, just a general comment :)
 
I joined this forum a year ago, maybe a bit longer. When I joined it was pretty friendly, but the last several months it's gotten bad. Really bad, antogonistic, hateful, bitter (not you Bitter) and biting. I don't get it.

I couldn't agree more! Photography is an art form. Some people will like it others wont. There is a lack of professionalism here though. Sometimes down right nasty. We are all interested in the same thing. Instead of bashing, why not share techniques? Isn't that why this site was started in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with you 100% but I am relatively new since this past dec. There are a lot of police on board.

I have been into HDR for a bit and I took a an online course from Trey Ratcliff. His course was ok but I was beyond his teaching course in my eyes. However before each lesson he talked for quite a bit and philosophized, I think I enjoyed that more than anything and helped me!

The reason I bring this up is because he spoke about being carfeull with online photography forums. IF you decide to join and discuss and post pictures for critique to not get caught up to much in what people have to say. He spoke of the pixel police, noise police, sharp police and so on. There are people that will zoom in to your photo so close just to look for any thing to complain about. It gets out of control sometimes and if you keep changing and changing your ways you never truly develop your own style, you end up being a photographer for the popular vote. Thats my interpretation of his words.

There is another forum called froknowsphoto.com. Jarred Pollen is the guy. He also shares the same philosophy as Trey about if it looks good than it is good and if you are going to look at a photo for 10-20 min just to find the wrong then you are not seeing the photo you are just looking for reasons to complain.

I felt the same way before I came across these two fellows and it helped me in the way that photographers of that caliber also have a more simple approach to critiquing photos. People make it hard and go out of there way to spot little tiny things out that it becomes in my words silly.


If we are posting on a forum and critique is given and the OP explains why he or she did what they did comes across as not wanting to except C and C or defensive then what is the point? Its almost like the folks giving the c and c can not take the explanation and get defensive and turn words around to empower them....I don't get it....


As far as the moon yeah I had the same issue, my moon kinda sucked! I was not aware it was supposed to be taken with things around it to show the size I thought it was going just be bigger and when the word was at 11:30 at night well ugggghhh its high in the sky there is nothing to compare it to. I then was told 8:30pm was the better time to take a picture....I failed but learned that something of that size also needs something in relation to compare it to.
 
I joined this forum a year ago, maybe a bit longer. When I joined it was pretty friendly, but the last several months it's gotten bad. Really bad, antogonistic, hateful, bitter (not you Bitter) and biting. I don't get it.

I couldn't agree more! Photography is an art form. Some people will like it others wont. There is a lack of professionalism here though. Sometimes down right nasty. We are all interested in the same thing. Instead of bashing, why not share techniques? Isn't that why this site was started in the first place?

Yes, I agree with you 100% but I am relatively new since this past dec. There are a lot of police on board.

I have been into HDR for a bit and I took a an online course from Trey Ratcliff. His course was ok but I was beyond his teaching course in my eyes. However before each lesson he talked for quite a bit and philosophized, I think I enjoyed that more than anything and helped me!

The reason I bring this up is because he spoke about being carfeull with online photography forums. IF you decide to join and discuss and post pictures for critique to not get caught up to much in what people have to say. He spoke of the pixel police, noise police, sharp police and so on. There are people that will zoom in to your photo so close just to look for any thing to complain about. It gets out of control sometimes and if you keep changing and changing your ways you never truly develop your own style, you end up being a photographer for the popular vote. Thats my interpretation of his words.

There is another forum called froknowsphoto.com. Jarred Pollen is the guy. He also shares the same philosophy as Trey about if it looks good than it is good and if you are going to look at a photo for 10-20 min just to find the wrong then you are not seeing the photo you are just looking for reasons to complain.

I felt the same way before I came across these two fellows and it helped me in the way that photographers of that caliber also have a more simple approach to critiquing photos. People make it hard and go out of there way to spot little tiny things out that it becomes in my words silly.


If we are posting on a forum and critique is given and the OP explains why he or she did what they did comes across as not wanting to except C and C or defensive then what is the point? Its almost like the folks giving the c and c can not take the explanation and get defensive and turn words around to empower them....I don't get it....


As far as the moon yeah I had the same issue, my moon kinda sucked! I was not aware it was supposed to be taken with things around it to show the size I thought it was going just be bigger and when the word was at 11:30 at night well ugggghhh its high in the sky there is nothing to compare it to. I then was told 8:30pm was the better time to take a picture....I failed but learned that something of that size also needs something in relation to compare it to.[/QUOTE]

Thank You! Your post is constructive. That is what I truly appreciate. People like you are the reason I joined this site in the first place.

I agree that frequency is one of the nicest guys on this site. He asked why I did the shot the way I did. I was explaining to him why just like the conversations I have had with him in the past. Just because there isn't a smiley face in a post, doesn't mean you are being defensive or have a certain tone...

When I said that photography is art. It is just that, art. When you walk into a art gallery, do you like every piece of art in the gallery? Some you will like, others you won't. It's an expression of yourself.

There is enough hate in this world. If you can't respond to someones question and explain why you did something the way you did. Something is wrong....
 
Last edited:
i really like this photo! but perhaps putting more things in the sky into the frame with the moon (clouds or something) i feel like it would put the super moon in context. the photo is very nice though
 
Sorry guys, Frequency is one of the nicest, genuine, constructive guys on here. Flasharps is basically an unknown. I didn't like his tone with Frequency, of course I'll come to his defense.


Agreed. :thumbup: I don't think anybody is questioning Frequency's "nice guy" persona. He's never been anything but a gentlemen in these forums. My comment was made as a general observation of this forum and was not directed at Frequency in particular. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
 


I joined this forum a year ago, maybe a bit longer. When I joined it was pretty friendly, but the last several months it's gotten bad. Really bad, antogonistic, hateful, bitter (not you Bitter) and biting. I don't get it.


Seems the same to me....:lol:

like i said previously, it has changed, but not necessarily within the past few months.

i've been on here almost as long as bitter, i just don't usually post unless im one of the first replies. and when i first joined flame wars were rare (except in "canon vs. nikon" threads), and overall this was a friendly community.

the first time i posted an image i was a complete beginner, and wasn't very good at this, but instead of having nothing but negativity, i actually got some kind words (along with honest critique), and it empowered me to move forward and try harder to succeed, and take good pictures. this actually used to be a great place for beginners to learn without being b*****ed at, for saying the wrong thing.

now it's worse than 4chans photography board, and thats saying something.
 
@OP: Seems a little under esposed.

I havn't really gotten anything but polite C&C, I belive it's how you take it. ;)
 
IMO, written word can easily be misconstrued (pertaining to attitude) Personally I try to read what is written as coming from a friend (that I like lol) which makes most posts directed at me as "nice or trying to help". Just my 2 cents on that. As for the photo, it's much better than mine even if there is no way to show context in regards to super size.
Have a great day all! :)
 
Kazooie: Thanks for the critique. I agree. I took a few other shots some with better exposure, but not as clear. I know a lot has to do with the atmosphere as far as clarity goes. I was hoping to get a nice shot from the beach, but the position of the moon would have been over condos. :(

shefjr: Completely agree. My original response was in no way negative/defensive against frequency. I was just responding to his question. I still don't understand why it was even taken as a defensive response?
 
Isn't it ironic that Frequency has not posted that he thought he was being attacked by the OP. Freq. is a big boy and I would think he is capable of defending himself if he did indeed feel he was being called out for his comment. IMO
 
Rotanimod, unfortunately tone is very easy to misconstrue when there is no actual tone to interpret (ie written not spoken). I didn't feel flasharps response was particularly defensive, and he did explain his intentions for the photo. Perhaps he put too many question marks??????? I can see how that could be misconstrued, but I'd take flasharps at his word.

Now...deep breath everyone! In with the blue, out with the black!
 
Rotanimod, unfortunately tone is very easy to misconstrue when there is no actual tone to interpret (ie written not spoken). I didn't feel flasharps response was particularly defensive, and he did explain his intentions for the photo. Perhaps he put too many question marks??????? I can see how that could be misconstrued, but I'd take flasharps at his word.

Now...deep breath everyone! In with the blue, out with the black!



Well said, and Amen!
 
Here is another shot. Again..no trees, landscape, etc. just the moon. Not as clear.

$Moon 1.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom