What's new

Super Moon

My issue is that you didn't crop in enough. In my view, if you are going to centre the moon, then you need to get rid of the empty space around it, otherwise the space is asking to be filled.
 
My issue is that you didn't crop in enough. In my view, if you are going to centre the moon, then you need to get rid of the empty space around it, otherwise the space is asking to be filled.

I agree. I shot it with a 70-200MM L lens. Believe it or not, it's cropped. I tried cropping it some more, but it really gets blown out. Unfortunately I wasn't at a great location to get any background for the shot. :(
 
My issue is that you didn't crop in enough. In my view, if you are going to centre the moon, then you need to get rid of the empty space around it, otherwise the space is asking to be filled.

I agree. I shot it with a 70-200MM L lens. Believe it or not, it's cropped. I tried cropping it some more, but it really gets blown out. Unfortunately I wasn't at a great location to get any background for the shot. :(
You could look at investing in a 2 x extender which would give you a 140 - 400 range, but with a loss of AF below a certain aperture. Manual Focussing wouldn't be too much of a issue as you could use live view and zoom in. Either that or look into hiring a longer lens for a day or two
 
My issue is that you didn't crop in enough. In my view, if you are going to centre the moon, then you need to get rid of the empty space around it, otherwise the space is asking to be filled.

I agree. I shot it with a 70-200MM L lens. Believe it or not, it's cropped. I tried cropping it some more, but it really gets blown out. Unfortunately I wasn't at a great location to get any background for the shot. :(
You could look at investing in a 2 x extender which would give you a 140 - 400 range, but with a loss of AF below a certain aperture. Manual Focussing wouldn't be too much of a issue as you could use live view and zoom in. Either that or look into hiring a longer lens for a day or two

actually, if he was shooting on a crop sensor then it be more of a 196-560.......but whos actually counting and figuring thast stuff out? lol
 
I agree. I shot it with a 70-200MM L lens. Believe it or not, it's cropped. I tried cropping it some more, but it really gets blown out. Unfortunately I wasn't at a great location to get any background for the shot. :(
You could look at investing in a 2 x extender which would give you a 140 - 400 range, but with a loss of AF below a certain aperture. Manual Focussing wouldn't be too much of a issue as you could use live view and zoom in. Either that or look into hiring a longer lens for a day or two
actually, if he was shooting on a crop sensor then it be more of a 196-560.......but whos actually counting and figuring thast stuff out? lol
I went by the camera in his signature which is full frame - 5d mk II
 
Here's my peace offering:

Your first shot was very run of the mill, but the second shot is a very cool shot. The wispy clouds give the moon a nice surreal glow, and now with clouds you have something that separates your shot from just another moon shot. You mentioned sharpness as an issue, but there is plenty of sharpness. The issue is in the flare.

Given that your photos are OK to edit, I wanted to illustrate what I would do with this shot. I cropped in much tighter, brought out existing detail in the moon, and removed the flare. Again, Nice capture.

Moon2.jpg
 
Here's my peace offering:

Your first shot was very run of the mill, but the second shot is a very cool shot. The wispy clouds give the moon a nice surreal glow, and now with clouds you have something that separates your shot from just another moon shot. You mentioned sharpness as an issue, but there is plenty of sharpness. The issue is in the flare.

Given that your photos are OK to edit, I wanted to illustrate what I would do with this shot. I cropped in much tighter, brought out existing detail in the moon, and removed the flare. Again, Nice capture.

Moon2.jpg

You Rock!!!!!

Thanks!
 
1. It's the moon. Unless you have a spaceship or an actual witch flying in front of it, it's not going to be original. It's one of the most obvious subjects, and everyone on the planet sees it almost daily. The moon... is a photography slut. :) The clouds certainly make it a little more interesting, but she's still a slut... maybe with a bit of makeup on. :) That said, folks will still take shots of her... I almost did... why not? It's neat. You just have to sort of shrug your shoulders, say "Very sharp!" when appropriate, and move on to the next one.

2. Re people being rude/sharp/angry/whatever... it's not been in the past few months alone. It's a cycle. It comes and goes, though honestly, I don't think it ever really goes. You do get individuals who get grouchy now and again (I am guilty of this), but I bet it's also waves of new people coming in... fresh ideas, fresh remarks (repeated questions), etc.
 
Basically all of us are good; but sometimes we say something which are intentionally/unintentionally bitter or at least not that sweet; if we take such things on the lighter side and don't take them close to our heart, every thing will run smooth.

Of course i don't think the forum has grown bitter/ unfriendly etc. The only sad thing i found is the lack of responses sometimes... that too cannot be blamed because all of are busy several ways, i know

One more clarification i needs be giving... i comment on most of the images not because of any misunderstanding about my own status in this art... i think every body will be happy to hear some words on his/her works... i just want to share that happiness... I take this as mutual helping :D (yes, as already has been pointed out here, a smiley can take away a lot of misunderstandings...so use them profusely.... it is free ;) )
 
I forgot... my heart felt thanks to Rotanimod and others for their considerations and good words.... :D
 
Basically all of us are good; but sometimes we say something which are intentionally/unintentionally bitter or at least not that sweet; if we take such things on the lighter side and don't take them close to our heart, every thing will run smooth.

Of course i don't think the forum has grown bitter/ unfriendly etc. The only sad thing i found is the lack of responses sometimes... that too cannot be blamed because all of are busy several ways, i know

One more clarification i needs be giving... i comment on most of the images not because of any misunderstanding about my own status in this art... i think every body will be happy to hear some words on his/her works... i just want to share that happiness... I take this as mutual helping :D (yes, as already has been pointed out here, a smiley can take away a lot of misunderstandings...so use them profusely.... it is free ;) )

Frequency for president. Seriously. I wish I could be as nice as you are. I seriously look up to you for your demeanor and the way you treat people around here. You rock.
 
I agree with the C&C about showing the "super" about this moon.
 
Basically all of us are good; but sometimes we say something which are intentionally/unintentionally bitter or at least not that sweet; if we take such things on the lighter side and don't take them close to our heart, every thing will run smooth.

Of course i don't think the forum has grown bitter/ unfriendly etc. The only sad thing i found is the lack of responses sometimes... that too cannot be blamed because all of are busy several ways, i know

One more clarification i needs be giving... i comment on most of the images not because of any misunderstanding about my own status in this art... i think every body will be happy to hear some words on his/her works... i just want to share that happiness... I take this as mutual helping :D (yes, as already has been pointed out here, a smiley can take away a lot of misunderstandings...so use them profusely.... it is free ;) )

Frequency for president. Seriously. I wish I could be as nice as you are. I seriously look up to you for your demeanor and the way you treat people around here. You rock.

O Manaheim...those words melt me down... i grow humbler:blushing:

Thank you :D
 
Frequency said:
O Manaheim...those words melt me down... i grow humbler:blushing:

Thank you :D

BEAUTIFUL ENDING!!!! NOW LET'S BACK TO SOME CC!!!! WE NEED WORDS OF WISDOM FROM Y'ALL
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom