Super Newbie Question

alby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm Nikon Lens.

I just got it yesterday and I already ran into a challenge.

I'm trying to take pictures outdoors. It's very sunny and bright. I'm shooting in A. I want to see the beautiful blue skies in my photos, all I get is a bright white glow.

help!

what should my white balance be? exposure? iso? f?

Thanks

separate question. How come when I change my metering settings, I am unable to take any pictures?

Thanks in advance!

I am also rather new to all this, but since joining here have learned a ton already. The best piece of advice i have been given so far is go buy:

Understanding Exposure
by Bryan Peterson

Just be sure to get the newest version it is updated some for digital photography.

I was amazed at how simple certain things are when explained in a way you will understand. This is a good read IMO.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Make sure you're shooting in full manual. When metering the scene, get a reading off the sky first then shoot the picture. The camera may say that the pic is underexsposed, but try it that way. Don't quote me any of this, I suck at photography:grumpy:. Good luck!

i finally got the blue skies. i had to turn on flash.

i can't even take a picture when i change the metering settings.

I have recently gotten the Nikon D60, and I have the same problem. Since I don't know the camera or manual settings very well yet, I just change angles, and retake the shot. It normally ends up working for me.

You use flash on an outdoor shot that is coming out too light, and that works? Interesting.

Another point of this camera that bugs me is the focus points. I can't figure out how to get it to focus evenly, as opposed to randomly picking whatever subject is closest, and even then only focusing on one third of it.

flash keeps the closer object (leaves) in focus, while leaving the sky beautiful blue.

i dont know how it works but it works. try it!

In bright sunlight, set your f-stop to f16 and your shutter speed to 1/125th. F-Stop = aperture.

I'm trying to take pictures outdoors. It's very sunny and bright. I'm shooting in A. I want to see the beautiful blue skies in my photos, all I get is a bright white glow.
what should my white balance be? exposure? iso? f?

Start with a white balance set to Sun (I have a Canon and it's a sunshine icon)

Then choose an ISO around 100

You can put your camera in manual mode and set the aperture to anywhere between f8 and f16.

Now point your camera to the sky and press the shutter button half way down. You've just taken a meter reading. Look at the light meter at the bottom of your screen it should look something like this -2..1..0..1..+2 There will be a little floating line under one of the numbers. Adjust your shutter speed until the line is under the 0 and you should have proper exposure for the sky. Now recompose your shot, don't change any settings, and yes your meter will be saying "hey- we're not exposing properly" but just ignore it and take the shot. You should have a blue sky. When shooting into the sun, take your meter reading to the side of the sun. Hope this helps. And I second the comment to get Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. Awesome book!

thank you so much for the metering info

Most reactions

New Topics

Back