Super shallow DOF on macro lens

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I dont really use a macro lens and just borrowed my friends nikon 105mm macro. The thing is that I'm on manual focus, f8, 1/200sec and im only getting like a milimeter dof.

what am i doing wrong?

Absolutely nothing... that's life in the macro world. In fact a whole mm of DoF isn't bad. Do a Google search on "image stacking" - it may be the answer you're looking for.

......what am i doing wrong?

Nothing. That's the nature of shooting small things.

You can either close the aperture and gain mor DOF, or learn to do focus stacking.

I'm checking it out now. Thanks guys. I havent really done much macro shooting so this should be a good learning experience. i wish it was easier though. haha

Focus stacking software and smaller apertures (with lights) certainly both work. But if you want to be a badass mad scientist,

buy/build a tilt shift bellows also! Then you can tilt the plane of focus so that even though it's a millimeter, it will go many millimeters deep in your photo.
Novoflex - Tilt-/Shift Bellows will set you back 800 euros apparently.
Other brands too like Hama/Spiratone: http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/455_tiltshift_bellows_1.jpg similarly outrageously expensive.
Pentax Hacks is a much MUCH cheaper homemade approximation (maybe $100) but pretty straightforward to make and this guy has already done it with pictures. Would probably work pretty well with a basic 50mm full format lens.
Or the most ridiculous of all I've seen: How to: Developing a tilt/shift system for 35mm digital camera based on 4x5 view camera «Photigy: Online Studio Photography Lessons lol

Focus stacking and tilt shift methods both aim to maximise the tiny depth of field that you get when shooting macro. They can give you some great results that would otherwise be impossible. However first things first, you have to learn how to get a good shot with a single exposure first since both of those methods build and rely upon that core skill.

Don't rush in too fast otherwise you'll be tripping up as you try to "run before you can walk".

Focus stacking software and smaller apertures (with lights) certainly both work. But if you want to be a badass mad scientist,

buy/build a tilt shift bellows also! Then you can tilt the plane of focus so that even though it's a millimeter, it will go many millimeters deep in your photo.
Novoflex - Tilt-/Shift Bellows will set you back 800 euros apparently.
Other brands too like Hama/Spiratone: http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/455_tiltshift_bellows_1.jpg similarly outrageously expensive.
Pentax Hacks is a much MUCH cheaper homemade approximation (maybe $100) but pretty straightforward to make and this guy has already done it with pictures. Would probably work pretty well with a basic 50mm full format lens.
Or the most ridiculous of all I've seen: How to: Developing a tilt/shift system for 35mm digital camera based on 4x5 view camera «Photigy: Online Studio Photography Lessons lol

Or, if you shoot Nikon, just buy a PB-4.

The way DoF works, the closer the point of focus is to the camera, the shallower the DoF gets of the lens aperture is not changed.

Apparently, you don't yet have a good grasp of how DoF is controlled - Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

An online DoF calculator like the one at dofmaster.com can help learn how various changes in lens focal length, focus point distance, and lens aperture effect total DoF.

Thanks for the link. We all learn something new every day.

Most reactions

Back