Super White vs Arctic White Paper Background ?

JE2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a newbie to studio setup and I'm currently setting up my first small studio for filming. I'm aiming for a seamless paper background that is as white as possible and I'm choosing between a Super White paper background from Colorama and a Arctic White paper background also from Colorama (both backgrounds available locally where I live, and I will have a GVM 1500d light shining directly at the background to make the white background brighter). I'm leaning toward the Super White background, but I'm a little worried that it will be a tad too white and will reflect some of the white back on the subject and outshine the contours of the face (I guess I'm not that interested in High Key if I understand the term correctly, as I want some contrast on the subject's face, though still with as white background as possible.) On the other hand, I've read that Arctic White could be a little blue and in some cases reflect back a slightly blue tinge on the subject.
What do you think would be best for my setup and preference, Super White or Arctic White?
Thanks for the help!
/Jonas

Well you did say “as white as possible” so I vote super white.

But I like to change the background to better compliment the subject. So IMHO you need several from white through grays to black.

Reactions: JE2
Well you did say “as white as possible” so I vote super white.

But I like to change the background to better compliment the subject. So IMHO you need several from white through grays to black.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm also currently leaning towards super white.

I have some RGB-lights and intend to color the background with different colors from time to time, but I might need to also have a background in gray apart from the white, in order to easier color the background with RGB.

Most reactions

Back