Surf shoot

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been hanging out for another chance to practice with the new 300mm. Weather cleared enough this afternoon just before the sunset to allow me another quick session.

1: Sea was whipped up overnight producing a decent swell for the surfers, 3-4m sets coming through.

surf20006.jpg

2: This sand dredge heads out to dump another load of sand from the harbour.

surf20001.jpg

3: Surfers all lined up.

surf20004.jpg

4: Missed the focus slightly, and shutter speed a little to slow, live and learn. Tricky light to deal with, shooting back into sun with surfers usually in shadow.

surf20005.jpg

5: A grommett going hard.

surf20003.jpg

6: Same grommett from above bailing over the back.

surf20002.jpg

C&C welcomed.

My favorite is the 2nd one, very picturesque. What camera and lens spec(which 300mm) did you use for this shot and any filters ?

Rob
I really like #3.
The sun reflection, the color of the water, the wind spray, the adventure of the surfers in different aspects of readyness, and composition - nice capture.

Could possibly be my favorite. Do you have a different treatment of that image?

definitely #2 and #1 jus grabbed me until i lingered on and then i'm not sure ....overall nice pictures:thumbup:

My favorite is the 2nd one, very picturesque. What camera and lens spec(which 300mm) did you use for this shot and any filters ?

Just the gear in my sig, Canon 500D/t1i and Canon 300mm /f4L USM (no-IS), no filters at all were used, I almost always use a CPL, but I dont have a 77mm CPL yet, colouring is from natural light right before the sunset, or how it appeared when it rarely broke through the cloud cover, but still very close to sunset.

Rob
I really like #3.
The sun reflection, the color of the water, the wind spray, the adventure of the surfers in different aspects of readyness, and composition - nice capture.

Could possibly be my favorite. Do you have a different treatment of that image?

Sure, the image I have posted is the closest to how it appeared at the time.
surf20007.jpg

definitely #2 and #1 jus grabbed me until i lingered on and then i'm not sure ....overall nice pictures:thumbup:

Thanks.

I really like #2. Nice pictures. :thumbup:

Thanks.

Theyre all REALLY cool :D Some are a little bit too dark for me, but still great! Nice job!

Thanks.

the ocean offfers so many great photo ops such as these. great captures and a few seem a little dark

Wow those are pretty Intense waves for the mount! Awesome!

Yeah, dont often get a good sea like that.

the ocean offfers so many great photo ops such as these. great captures and a few seem a little dark

thanks dak1b, 2nd one especially. I was concerned with how dark it is, might have another play with it. Hard shooting into the sun when everything is in shadow, no other optional location sadly. In summer the sun will go down in a much better place.

EDIT: on 2nd look I might leave well enough alone, I kinda like the contrast.

The first one is just amazing.

Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back