--Surrealistic--

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd love general thoughts as well as which you prefer...no fog or with fog.

no fog
p1055750154-4.jpg

with fog
p634827415-4.jpg

It may just be me, but you have to look at the fog version for a little while after the non-fog to make it look right. I know which way I prefer (I think) but would like other thoughts/opinions.

Last edited:
bump.....anybody?

Here...maybe a more subtle edit will get a reply.
p922496703-4.jpg

Doesn't have anything surrelistic for me, just a over PP landscape shot

peter

Doesn't have anything surrelistic for me, just a over PP landscape shot

peter

Wow, thanks for the insightful response. I'll be sure to use your tips my next time out. :roll:

In case I didn't state it (it should be a given that all people want help improving), I would like people to tell me what can be improved upon. The processing on this is not that much different than SOOC....though it still may be overprocessed. I've always struggled with landscapes so if you can't offer any type of helpful advice then don't bother posting.

Now....anybody have any pointers on how to improve the shot. I realized the first edit was way overprocessed which is why I included the last shot. Here is SOOC if some of you can improve it or help with post..

2009-08-04_61unedited.jpg

I think the focal point of your picture for me is the water and how the submerged plants show the direction of water current. The trees surrounding the body of water only acts as a compliment to show the location of the landscape(the woods..hehe duh). Your first photo photos that you posted took away the focus out of the water and distracted my eyes towards the trees more. Maybe mask your the water out and direct your PP towards this as your focal point. Just my interpretation =)

Looking at the SOOC picture I think the overall shot is good.

I think the focal point of your picture for me is the water and how the submerged plants show the direction of water current. The trees surrounding the body of water only acts as a compliment to show the location of the landscape(the woods..hehe duh). Your first photo photos that you posted took away the focus out of the water and distracted my eyes towards the trees more. Maybe mask your the water out and direct your PP towards this as your focal point. Just my interpretation =)

Looking at the SOOC picture I think the overall shot is good.

Thank you. I will try your suggestion in playing with the post.

Well, here it is, the original and unedited photo is pretty boring and the backround very distracting, the idea of the water covering the plants is nice though, but the photo lacks a strong composition and a strong subject, or better, there is a nice subject but the composition doesn't help to make it a strong one.

A generally flawed image won't magically turn into an awesome one, so, instead of over editing it to make up for the boring backround and composition, try cropping it to make it more and focused on the water, thus interesting, although to do that you would have had to compose the shot more carefully when you were taking it, because the scene had awesome potential.

peter

On a side note, dreamy landscapes and over PP images have nothing to so with surrealism, i am tired of people using artistic terms to justify wannabe - artsy filtered photos, so that is why comment could pass as rude.

Well, here it is, the original and unedited photo is pretty boring and the backround very distracting, the idea of the water covering the plants is nice though, but the photo lacks a strong composition and a strong subject, or better, there is a nice subject but the composition doesn't help to make it a strong one.

A generally flawed image won't magically turn into an awesome one, so, instead of over editing it to make up for the boring backround and composition, try cropping it to make it more and focused on the water, thus interesting, although to do that you would have had to compose the shot more carefully when you were taking it, because the scene had awesome potential.

peter

On a side note, dreamy landscapes and over PP images have nothing to so with surrealism, i am tired of people using artistic terms to justify wannabe - artsy filtered photos.

"dreamy" is in the definition of surreal. I was trying to get it to look dreamy because the look of the water in person (and in SOOC picture) was very dreamy looking in my opinion.

I appreciate the more in depth response this time. I will easily pass by this spot again down the road so I will stop and try again. Would you suggest the composition focus more on the water and less on the background then? ....maybe more on the water and small "island" in the middle...?

I'll be the first to admit that my eye for composition regarding landscapes is lacking....that's where I'm trying to improve. I didn't over pp to make up for a bad shot....I just lack in post skills for landscapes as well.....I usually stick to little critters (and maybe I should just stay that way...).

Yes it's in the definition, but it takes much more than a dreamy look for a picture to be surrealistic, and your photo has nothing to do with it, sorry. Please do yourself a favor and look at some surrealistic work.

With this being said, maybe next time you pass by that location (first off i would say to go there with a more interesting lighting condition ), you might wanna try to concentrate more on the water and the interesting shapes it creates with the plants below it, maybe trying to lower your perspective to ground level i don't know, it's up to you man, the important thing is that you find a way to better portray an interesting scene like this, wich as i stated before, has great artistic potential.

Peter

P.S the original is slightly over exposed, wich is easy to do in those lighting conditions

Yes it's in the definition, but it takes much more than a dreamy look for a picture to be surrealistic, and your photo has nothing to do with it, sorry. Please do yourself a favor and look at some surrealistic work.

With this being said, maybe next time you pass by that location (first off i would say to go there with a more interesting lighting condition ), you might wanna try to concentrate more on the water and the interesting shapes it creates with the plants below it, maybe trying to lower your perspective to ground level i don't know, it's up to you man, the important thing is that you find a way to better portray an interesting scene like this, wich as i stated before, has great artistic potential.

Peter

Thank you....I really do appreciate the help. I will give it another shot when I get the chance...maybe even pack some rubber boots and get out into the water for a better prespective.

Thank you....I really do appreciate the help. I will give it another shot when I get the chance...maybe even pack some rubber boots and get out into the water for a better prespective.

Yes, glad i gave you the motivation

Edit : i would love to see the new photo when you take it, so let me know

Peter

I am with Peter - this isn't surreal to me - surreal to me conjours images on Salvador Dali's work.

Personally I think the trees totally take away from the water and that it could have worked better in B&W? xxx

I think it's a nice location, definitely has major potential, but lacks any real sense of a subject. When you do go back there perhaps bring a model out there and put a person in that water or on that island, I think that would definitely capture a more surreal image.

Do you mind if I take a stab at editing this shot for your benefit? I don't plan on using it for myself at all, but just to see if it can be salvaged at all...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back