Switching brands

jjphotos

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm just trying to get some feedback on whether to switch from Canon to Nikon. I've been looking to upgrade for a while. My current equipment includes: Canon T3i, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm telephoto, 50mm f/1.8.

My father has a friend who is able to get Nikon products for around 50% off retail price (head office employee). So I was thinking it would better to switch to Nikon in the long run (gathering equipment, lenses, etc.) even though I've heard Canon is outclassing Nikon in certain aspects and I already have some of the lower priced Canon products.

I'm looking to get a camera body and 2-3 lens if I switch to Nikon gearing toward a more intermediate level if I do switch. I know some die-hard fans for both so I would like some opinions on this.

I am currently a student so I don't have that much disposable income.

Last edited:
100% if you can get that kind of discount on all things Nikon and you only have a wee bit invested in Canon. Just make sure you go try the camera you desire out - meaning how it feels in your hand, button layout, menu etc. Other than that....Jump Jump Jump to it.

Oh, what do you shoot mostly?

I guess it boils down to how much you value your current equipment. Make sure you try before you buy!

100% if you can get that kind of discount on all things Nikon and you only have a wee bit invested in Canon. Just make sure you go try the camera you desire out - meaning how it feels in your hand, button layout, menu etc. Other than that....Jump Jump Jump to it.

Thanks for the input! I mostly shoot cityscape and landscapes. Are the Canon and Nikon user interfaces vastly different?

I guess it boils down to how much you value your current equipment. Make sure you try before you buy!
Yeah, I'll have to go physically try some before I get too ahead of myself haha.

They are different, vastly depends more on your own opinion. You've used Canon, so go check out Nikon.

Last edited:
Both Canon and Nikon make good cameras, being able to get gear for so cheap is a no brainer, move to Nikon.
Currently Canon makes its own sensors while Nikon has been use Sony sensors for the longest time so generally Nikon's sensors are using newer technology and in most cases you are getting more dynamic range then Canon's cameras.
But this is all very technical, at the end of the day the main factor is your skills, with good skills both Canon and Nikon will be able to provide you with the tools you need to get amazing pictures.

If you like to stay with Canon, then go buy the higher end Nikon equipment such as the $8000 500mm lens @deep discount (i.e.$5000) and then flip it back on the market for $7000. With the $2000 you made, go buy a Canon. :D

Beautiful Wildlife Photos

Hey guys, I'm just trying to get some feedback on whether to switch from Canon to Nikon. I've been looking to upgrade for a while. My current equipment includes: Canon T3i, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm telephoto, 50mm f/1.8.

My father has a friend who is able to get Nikon products for around 50% off retail price (head office employee). So I was thinking it would better to switch to Nikon in the long run (gathering equipment, lenses, etc.) even though I've heard Canon is outclassing Nikon in certain aspects and I already have some of the lower priced Canon products.

I'm looking to get a camera body and 2-3 lens if I switch to Nikon gearing toward a more intermediate level if I do switch. I know some die-hard fans for both so I would like some opinions on this.

I am currently a student so I don't have that much disposable income.

Ok, well nothing against Canon mind you, they do make a fine camera - but this notion that they "outclass" Nikon, well it's marketing hype, not reality. There are certain Canon cameras that will have certain advantages over there Nikon counterparts, and vice versa. Truly the differences between the cameras really doesn't amount to much, especially when the one thing that has the biggest impact on the final results is the skill and knowledge of the photographer.

Some of the most iconic, memorable images ever photographed were taken with equipment that by modern standards is considered outmoded junk.

If you can get a significant discount on Nikon equipment, then that would be a huge selling point I would think. The Nikon D7100/D7200, for example, would be a huge improvement over a T3i, about the only "advantage" the T3i might have would be that it has an LCD that will tilt/swivel.

Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about time, masters worry about light.

Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about time, masters worry about light.

Canon users worry about all the God-awful color noise and pattern noise that lurks in their shadow areas.

That is because we don't have a messiah like Ken Rockwell to follow like those in the church of Nikon.

That is because we don't have a messiah like Ken Rockwell to follow like those in the church of Nikon.

Hey there pal, watch yourself! Ken Rockwell is a genius.. a GENIUS .. why he....

Lol..no, sorry, just can't do it. Was going to try some satire here but I just can't post that with a straight face... lol

Hey there pal, watch yourself! Ken Rockwell is a genius.. a GENIUS .. why he....

Lol..no, sorry, just can't do it. Was going to try some satire here but I just can't post that with a straight face... lol
Our father
Who art on the Internet
Hallowed be thy blog
Thy wisdom come
Thy instruction done
On earth, As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily blog.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against Nikon.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the aperture
The shutter speed and the ISO,
For ever and ever.
Amen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back