Switching to mirrorless from DSLR (Nikon D7000)

I was looking at Canon's RF lens lineup and their only 50mm prime lens is a f/1.2 costing $2300? :nightmare: I thought $600 for a Nikon Z f/1.8 was expensive. Also, I expected a wider range from Canon, but at first glance I prefer Nikon's z lens lineup, plus it is nice that they list everything that is in development on their website as well so you know what is coming...

I wanted to correct my statement, the Canon page was confusing and where I was looking did not list their RF f/1.8 lenses only the 1.2. I now see that they have a 5omm RF1.8 in addition to the RF 1.2... and the Canon RF 1.8 is both less expensive ($200) and smaller than the Nikon 50mm 1.8 ($600), but it has half the lens elements. Sounds like the Nikon is an excellent quality lens, but I have no doubt that the Canon RF 1.8 would be perfectly acceptable (similar to the more traditional Canon and Nikon FX 50mm 1.8 lenses, like what I currently have).

Nikon Z5 is $1300 (+$800 w/ 24-200 zoom), but I'm comparing it to the Canon options:
Canon EOS RP for $1000 or Canon EOS R for $1800
and extra for either the regular RF 24-105 (+$300), RF L 24-105 (+ $1100) or 24-240 (+$900)

The biggest concern I've been reading about the Canon's is the battery life, but I don't think it would be a deal-breaker.

I really don't like my Sigma 18-250, because it is inconsistent in sharpness (it is the only lens I've used that I am unhappy with the results), but if I could get a superzoom travel lens that actually gave consistently acceptable images, then I'd definitely be interested.

If I'm going to switch systems (from Nikon over to Canon mirrorless), then now is the time as ultimately I'd end up with a set of mirrorless lenses. Maybe wait until the new Canon RP markii comes out and see the reviews on that one.

Thanks, I appreciate all the suggestions! I will definitely keep my D7000, and may continue to use that for sports, since it has a crop sensor body and 6 fps. I do kids soccer, but I'm not getting paid and not selling pictures so I'm not worried about "missing the shot" as I'll always end up with some good pictures after a game :)

If only the Z5 had a little higher frame rate, like 6+ it'd be perfect, but reading some reviews everything else seems good to go. I might wait for some black friday deals.

Thanks!

For FAST frame rate on a mirrorless, the issue is the electronic shutter, and how it is implemented, if it is.
The 19fps on my Olympus is with the e-shutter, not the mechanical shutter.

I wanted to correct my statement, the Canon page was confusing and where I was looking did not list their RF f/1.8 lenses only the 1.2. I now see that they have a 5omm RF1.8 in addition to the RF 1.2... and the Canon RF 1.8 is both less expensive ($200) and smaller than the Nikon 50mm 1.8 ($600), but it has half the lens elements. Sounds like the Nikon is an excellent quality lens, but I have no doubt that the Canon RF 1.8 would be perfectly acceptable (similar to the more traditional Canon and Nikon FX 50mm 1.8 lenses, like what I currently have).

Nikon Z5 is $1300 (+$800 w/ 24-200 zoom), but I'm comparing it to the Canon options:
Canon EOS RP for $1000 or Canon EOS R for $1800
and extra for either the regular RF 24-105 (+$300), RF L 24-105 (+ $1100) or 24-240 (+$900)

The biggest concern I've been reading about the Canon's is the battery life, but I don't think it would be a deal-breaker.

I really don't like my Sigma 18-250, because it is inconsistent in sharpness (it is the only lens I've used that I am unhappy with the results), but if I could get a superzoom travel lens that actually gave consistently acceptable images, then I'd definitely be interested.

If I'm going to switch systems (from Nikon over to Canon mirrorless), then now is the time as ultimately I'd end up with a set of mirrorless lenses. Maybe wait until the new Canon RP markii comes out and see the reviews on that one.

If you are looking at Canon, then also look at Sony.
Sony has a more mature system of both cameras and lenses than either Nikon or Canon.

But you got to handle the Sony. Some HATE the feel and/or the UI of the Sony.

If you are looking at Canon, then also look at Sony.
Sony has a more mature system of both cameras and lenses than either Nikon or Canon.

But you got to handle the Sony. Some HATE the feel and/or the UI of the Sony.

Thanks! I've been looking at both Canon and Sony bodies and lenses.... I think since I plan to keep the D7000 as second body and have a few compatible lenses and SB-600 speedlight, it probably makes sense to stay with Nikon, especially since the Z5 seems like a pretty capable camera. I would start with getting the 14-30 and 24-200 lenses, and that would be it for a while so not a big deal that they have limited lens offerings at the moment. Its nice that they list on their website the upcoming lens releases, and by the time I'd be ready to get any of those (most likely longer telephotos) they'd be out.

Quote: The biggest concern I've been reading about the Canon's is the battery life, but I don't think it would be a deal-breaker.

As I mentioned in the other thread, "get used to it."

As for battery life, or lack of life, get used to it. Mirrorless cameras use the battery faster than dSLRs. From what I've figured out, mirrorless battery life is primarily dependent on power ON time, not the number of shots (as it is with a dSLR).
With the same camera, I've shot almost 2,000 frames on one battery, with plenty of capacity left over, and I've drained the battery shooting less than 800 frames and had to switch to the backup battery.
If you learn to power down when not shooting, your battery life will be longer.

And it is not just the batteries, but the chargers and charging process. On my last vacation with an Olympus EM1-mk1, I brought three batteries, and two chargers. I should have brought FOUR batteries, as each battery lasted about 4 hours of CONTINUOUS use. I charged the batteries in two shifts; two batteries as soon as I got to the hotel, and the 3rd battery overnight.

YOU will have to test YOUR camera (on a simulated vacation/trip) to determine what YOUR battery life is, before going on a vacation/trip.
This will tell you how many batteries and chargers you will need.

Just for comparison. I can shoot my D7200 all weekend on a single charge. And, I have NEVER used my spare battery, as a spare. After about 80,000 frames, the spare replaced the worn out original battery.

I upgraded from my d7000 to a D750/w 24-120 a few years back. I saw an big improvement in image quality. I later traded the D750 up to a D850. I really had no need of 46mp, the camera was quite a bit heavier and all in all the D850 was just too much camera for me and my needs. I also bought a Z50 as my travel camera and was blown away with the size, handling and IQ of the Z50. I got strapped for cash last summer and sold the D850 and most of my FX lenses. As much as I like the Z50, I'm sure the IQ from the Z5 is even better and, you can't go wrong with a D750 either.

I swithched to SENSORLESS. Cameras are lighter and my digital lenses work, except the mamiya medium format that weighs in 2 or 3 times a dslr. I have 3 hour developing turn around, in my bathroom and using the d850 for 46 mp scans.

As one who has gone from a D7000 to a D750, the improvement in IQ was pretty dramatic. Better low light, better shadow detail, better color saturation, the list goes on and on. All of your FX nikon lenses will work perfectly with it and, the Tokina 12-24 DX will work pretty well from 18-24 believe it or not. You will get about 1 stop shallower DoF then with the D7000. On FX a 50mm lens will approximately the same angle of view as a 35mm on DX. Therefore F/4 on the FX 50mm will be like f/2.8 on the 35mm DX. Once you start using the D750, it will all become much more clear. I loved my D750 but thought I needed to upgrade to a D850. Big mistake for me, it was just too much camera for this guy. I shoot the Z50 now and like it but, I'm considering the Z5 as well. With the Z5, you'll need the FTZ adapter to use your Nikon lenses and your 3rd party lenses may not auto focus at all. I've priced used D750's and they are high and all the ones I've seen had shutter counts over 100,000. That tells me that the owners used the heck out of them and only sold them because the shutter count was getting so high. Either camera will be a vast improvement over your aging D7000. The D750 is still a great camera but the Z5 is the future. Right now B&H has a deal with the Z5 with a 24-200mm kit lens for $1700. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back