Sydney Hot Babes Street Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I mean anti-clockwise.

I you really want to go on with street shooting there's some things you should definitely keep in mind.
The most important being that most people don't really like strangers coming up to them to take their picture without asking.

This can be solved in a few ways.
You can use a longer lens to zoom in so you can stand further away and have a bigger chance of them not noticing.
You can take the photo a little further away and then crop the image.
Or you could ask them if you can take their picture.

The Fiju X100 has a fixed 23mm lens (equivalent to 35mm on full-frame camera) which means you can't stand too far away.
This leaves you with the other two options.
Shooting your images a bit further away, including more of the surroundings, is definitely something you should try.
This gives you more to work with. You can always crop a bit closer to the subject if you get too much of the surroundings in your photo but sometimes it's actually a good thing to have some surroundings in there. Just play with it a bit.
If you really want to get close you can just ask them if they mind. If they do, don't take the picture. If they don't, thank them and take the picture. Maybe even offer them a digital copy or something. People might just be less angry if you do it that way. :)

Just to show you what you can do with a bit of cropping/post processing.
This is only very little work. :)

678795528096b9e077d7bed.jpg

Probably still not perfect but it's a big improvement in my opinion.

from what I read so far, almost all street photographers suggest wide focal length, don't ask for permission and be brave. And I agree with them. Photos taken with a long zoom are meaningless and I'd look like a real stalker.

Sure, in the photo she looked angry, it is still far better expression than no expression.

You called the title of this thread "Sydney Hot Babes Street Photography". Were all your subjects young women or was that your intention to photograph them specifically? Can see how if this title reflects your thinking about street photography, you might have some problems with people's reactions to you? An angry expression is not better than no expression. It just tells you, and us, that you are invading her space. And all street photographers say to be respectful of your subjects. Go out and take some photographs of blokes and give us some images to look at! :)

Photo #1 looks like it's in a mall. If you have privacy laws similar to that of the US, you COULD have the cops called on you for taking the first photo. You're in a mall it looks like, indoors, on private property. That is NOT where street photography should be done. It should be done on, I dunno, the street?

At least in the US, if people have a reasonable expectation of privacy, or are on private property indoors, TO MY KNOWLEDGE that is illegal or unlawful.

Photo 2 looks too much like SchwettyLens for me to comment...

Photo #1 looks like it's in a mall. If you have privacy laws similar to that of the US, you COULD have the cops called on you for taking the first photo. You're in a mall it looks like, indoors, on private property. That is NOT where street photography should be done. It should be done on, I dunno, the street?

At least in the US, if people have a reasonable expectation of privacy, or are on private property indoors, TO MY KNOWLEDGE that is illegal or unlawful.

Yes, shopping centre is private property, their land their rule. However, the subject in the photo is not the owner of the shopping centre. Therefore she has no power to stop me from taking her picture. Only the shopping centre management can ask to me stop taking pictures and that's as far as they can go, in that particular shopping centre, there was no "no photo" sign so I took pictures assuming photography is allowed.
The private land owner can not delete pictures already taking in their shopping mall. Only the court has that power to delete my pictures.

No, you don't have expectation of privacy in a shopping mall. It is not a love hotel, how can you expect to have privacy in a shopping mall?

Last edited:
So change your subjects....practice on trees, graveyards, cars, motorcycle, bikes, birds, dogs and everything esle you see. Quit taking shots of "hot babes"! Your presentation on this thread, and the photo itself is less than inspiring also... unless you are training to be a low-life papparazzi!

There are a lot of things you can photograph.... try to be decent about it. :)

Yes, shopping centre is private property, their land their rule. However, the subject in the photo is not the owner of the shopping centre. Therefore she has no power to stop me from taking her picture. Only the shopping centre management can ask to me stop taking pictures and that's as far as they can go, in that particular shopping centre, there was no "no photo" sign so I took pictures assuming photography is allowed.
The private land owner can not delete pictures already taking in their shopping mall. Only the court has that power to delete my pictures.

Yes, I'm not saying that they DO have the authority to do that. Nor am I making assumptions about the subject's standing within the mall. I assumed she was just a patron.

I don't know where you're getting the impression that I'm making these assumptions about your situation. I never mentioned anything about anyone deleting your photos did I? Nope, sure didn't. I did mention the possibility of legal trouble if she were to notify mall security.

With that being said, it's still not a good idea to do it, as it could get you banned from the mall... And it's not really street photography. The subject is boring, unfavorable expression, etc.

Simply actuating the shutter towards a random person in a public place does not make a "street photograph," do you follow? There still needs to be composition, and attention to detail to make a powerful image. That's why street photography is tough.

Don't give up, because the 3rd image you posted was much better.

Gotta agree with Tyler that it looks like a mall shot rather than a street shot.

I don't do a great deal of street shooting, but I bought an Oly EP3 to get a smaller (less pervy) footprint for this reason. A couple bits of advice I can offer to be personable, engage with your subjects if possible. Let them know you are trying to develop a style of street photography and putting together a porfolio AND you mean no harm. I usually carry some business cards with me, even though I'm not in photography as a business, so they can have a reasonable sense of relief that you're not just some GWC lurking in the shadows.

I chatted with these boys for about ten minutes (only one shown here) and clicked off ~20 frames.

Raleigh-Downtown-84-L.jpg

I commented to this gentleman how handsome he was dressed. He then proceeded to try and save my soul as he was a preacher, but nevertheless, we had an engaging conversation and parted with a handshake.

Raleigh-Downtown-110-L.jpg

These art student kids were filming people on the street for their upcoming project. They just had people stand in front of their camera for ~5 minutes and do whatever. They obliged me, so I returned the favor.

Raleigh-Downtown-124-L.jpg

Of course, there is always drive-by shooting.

Raleigh-Downtown-172-L.jpg

Raleigh-Downtown-166-L.jpg

Raleigh-Downtown-108-L.jpg

So my final words are to be upfront with people if confronted and to always wear a smile. By and large there should be no worries.

Good luck.

So change your subjects....practice on trees, graveyards, cars, motorcycle, bikes, birds, dogs and everything esle you see. Quit taking shots of "hot babes"! Your presentation on this thread, and the photo itself is less than inspiring also... unless you are training to be a low-life papparazzi!

There are a lot of things you can photograph.... try to be decent about it. :)

^^^^^^^^ that. Oh, and what does she think about you posting that snapshot all over the Internetz on a Sydney Hot Babes" thread
iconhammer.gif

.practice on trees, graveyards, cars, motorcycle, bikes, birds, dogs and everything esle you see. :)

you are one boring person aren't you? I still prefer photograph hot babes, and picking up few numbers along the way.

.practice on trees, graveyards, cars, motorcycle, bikes, birds, dogs and everything esle you see. :)

you are one boring person aren't you? I still prefer photograph hot babes, and picking up few numbers along the way.

So you got the number of the person in shot #1?

For some reason, that is extremely hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back