T max film:

vin88

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recived several unused rolls of T MAX 400. i have never used this film, always used Fugi. how good is this film? Vin

It has a more modern grain structure, assuming you have current stuff...not expired. It is a low grain look film with the latitude capable of deep blacks and detailed highlights. It is a similar look to digital but has the latitude to develop a unique look. I personally do not care for it, I may as well shoot digital. It develops extremely well in Kodak's Tmax developer. You can reach for unique looks with careful development, when using Rodinal but you need to take notes. This film doesn't respond well to frequent agitation when using solvent based developers, let it stand and work the shadows, while keeping the highlights under control.

JC does point out something that I noticed with T-Max ... it works best with T-Max developer.
I did not use it much, as I preferred Tri-X or Ilford Delta 400 over it ... for some reason I remember a pink base?

For quick, down & dirty shooting, it's good. I've used it mainly in the Holga, for the speed and latitude. T Max developer is also easy as a one-shot developer, long shelf life and not picky about temperature.

If you were given this film for free, take the gift and have a play with it. I would only encourage you to use the T Max developer for best results, but I don't know how critical that is.

Hope you post your results! :)

I'm no aficionado with films but it was my film of choice in the 80-90s.
I liked it better than Tri-X and used it exclusively on the streets and music festivals for it's low grain and excellent contrast.
years116.jpg

Hairy King173.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pez
thanks to you all. i'll give it a whirl. vin

It has a more modern grain structure, assuming you have current stuff...not expired. It is a low grain look film with the latitude capable of deep blacks and detailed highlights. It is a similar look to digital but has the latitude to develop a unique look. I personally do not care for it, I may as well shoot digital. It develops extremely well in Kodak's Tmax developer. You can reach for unique looks with careful development, when using Rodinal but you need to take notes. This film doesn't respond well to frequent agitation when using solvent based developers, let it stand and work the shadows, while keeping the highlights under control.

Works best with T-Ma developer to get the least amount of grain.

Mark

Consistently nice results with 120 TMY-2 with whatever developer my lab uses to soup the stuff.

Have to agree that it was light years ahead of Tri-X and Pan X but Plus X would prob. give it some competition. (But were talking about film discontinued in the late 1960's. )

There are multiple articles on the developer to use, though the T-Max was specifically designed to bring out the grain structure to its fullest.

Agfa and ilford developers won't do it justice unless your looking for a specific look. but that a LOT of experimenting to figure.

Tmax is 100% my go to when I need to shoot a quality B&W film followed by Ilford Delta 100. Tried Ilford HP5 finally and probably wont ever buy it again. Super disappointed in the results and I don't like the grain structure.

Tmax is 100% my go to when I need to shoot a quality B&W film followed by Ilford Delta 100. Tried Ilford HP5 finally and probably wont ever buy it again. Super disappointed in the results and I don't like the grain structure.

You would probably love Fujifilm Acros II

You would probably love Fujifilm Acros II

I'll have to get a box and give it a try. I'm on a monthly "buy a box of film even if I don't need it" kick so I can stock pile while I can. I have a bad feeling that Kodak's about to drop their sheet film for some reason.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back