T5i help

Goldnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am very much still a rookie with my new Canon. I was out taking some nature shots and I could not get the camera to take pics after I took just three pics. I am using my 70 -300IS lens. When I got home I noticed that if I would set the lens to manual focus it would take a shot but in AF setting it will not focus or take the pic. ??? Thanks Ken

Sounds like you have not managed to lock focus in AF mode, so the camera didn't take the picture. If you are new to photography, and this is a new camera, you may want to spend some time to read the user manual and practice a little bit.

Try a different lens on the body, if that works the problem is likely with the 75-300. You can try cleaning contacts on the lens, simply removing the lens and re-attaching my solve the problem. Contact cleaning fluids should be used carefully, you don't want any excess running down into the lens. Hold the lens with the mount down, swab the contacts, then wipe with a microfiber cloth.

I have not had cleaning work with a problem lens, but it is worth a try before taking or sending for testing or repair.

Good luck,
Phil

Certainly, try a different lens. If that solves the problem, re-attach the "defective" lens and try again. It could be a simple problem of a switch not quite making contact on the AF/MF control. Throw that switch a few times and this might help. Make sure it is positively in the AF position and try again.

Due to the complexity of modern DSLR's, a good many issues with new users and new cameras come down to user error. If you haven't already, do sit with your camera and the owner's manual to check for any obvious errors in settings. These are mostly likely in the "Tools" section of the menu.

Pay particular attention to any settings which involve the assignment of buttons. One popular option on Canon's is to assign "back button focus". If you've inadvertently made this change in the menu, the half press on the shutter release does nothing. Canon DLC Article Back-Button Auto Focus Explained

If all else fails, contact Canon tech support either on line or by phone.

Thank you all for the input. This is without a doubt, user error. But at this point I am unsure how this happened. Anyway after I posted yesterday I was re-reading my manual, I was just trying different things to try to figure out what I might have done to cause this. I pressed the AF point selection button and everything started working just fine. Problem is that I am not sure why this happened in the first place. Again thanks for the input. Ken

Most reactions

New Topics

Back