tablets with pens to edit with.

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
trying to edit with my mouse leaves a little to be desired. im wanting to look into the tablets with the pens to use to edit with and wanted to see what everyone is using as far as that is concerned. are they easy to use. something worth a purchase,etc?

They are absolutely great for photo editing...no doubt about it.

There are many options...but everyone will recommend something from Wacom. They have a full range of pen & tablet products...ranging in size, options and of course, price.

Ideally, you'll want to get a bigger one, rather than a smaller one. But if a bigger one won't fit on your desk, then it may not be the best option. I just have a little 'Bamboo' Wacom tablet, but I'd love a new Intuos4 or Intuos5.
http://www.wacom.com/

Wacom is the industry leader.

In this photo is a Wacom Intuos 4 Medium;
WrkStatn1-2-10_0028.jpg

yeah the more photos im doing im starting to notice more and more or well maybe i'm just more tracking the amount of time im spending on a photo so i can start figuring that into cost, and using the mouse is definatly not the best option for me. i agree bigger is better, i was looking earlier at the wacom intuos 5 in the medium size. im thinking the large one might be to big to use on my desk effectivly without moving the keyboard out of the way everytime so this might be a good compromise. of course theres the cost. im allready over the budget from what i though i would need when i started this little venture.

kmh do you feel the medium is a good size to work with? the small definatly seems to little for me.

maybe i should search ebay. idk, i just tend with this type stuff to want new, but i need to start cutting back on the amount im spending until i have money coming in. seen some 4's medium sized on ebay for the $150 range

oh, mike, what is the main diffrence with the bamboo. since my editing skills are minimal and im just learning it. would that be a better option starting out then going with a new top of the line type model?

another general question and i may have to go the manufacturers for this one. but does anyone know if you can flip them around. being left handed im wondering about the buttons being all on the left side. or at least most of them appear to have buttons on the elft side

Last edited:
oh, mike, what is the main diffrence with the bamboo. since my editing skills are minimal and im just learning it. would that be a better option starting out then going with a new top of the line type model?

another general question and i may have to go the manufacturers for this one. but does anyone know if you can flip them around. being left handed im wondering about the buttons being all on the left side. or at least most of them appear to have buttons on the elft side

The difference is the sensitivity and built in buttons and scroll wheel on the intuos. Bamboo is ok. I use one with my laptop while on the go because of it's small size and low cost, but at home and work, I have an Intuos. You probably won't notice a difference since you've never used one, but once you get used to it, you will want that extra sensitivity.

Current generation Wacoms are all reversible for left-handers. The older ones didn't matter because they were symmetrical. Medium size is perfect IMO. I use the bigger one at work and like it, but it takes up a lot of desk space. Home I have medium and it's more comfy.

Not something I've tried, but if desk space is truly and issue, you can hold the tablet in your hands/lap. Most of the models can also be paired with an optional wireless kit.

One thing that I do, because I've got the small tablet, is switch from absolute to relative. In other words, the size of my tablet does not equate to the area of my screen. It works more like a mouse, in that I can (have to) pick it up and move it to go across the screen. This has it's benefits and it's problems, but it helps fine control with the smaller tablet. But really, a smaller tablet may just mean that you have to zoom in and out more often. And if you have the Intuos, you can (I think) program that into the buttons or touch pad.

think it would be easier for me to just have the tablet on the table. but if i go with a bamboo one which is less cost i may be able to up the size. and like u said, without having used either i probably wouldn't notice a diffrence between the two because either will be a leap from my mouse. think i'll stick with the bamboo for now and then if i actually start making money at this i can upgrade down the line. thanks for the help guys. one more thing to add to the grocery list.

12sndsgood said:
think it would be easier for me to just have the tablet on the table. but if i go with a bamboo one which is less cost i may be able to up the size. and like u said, without having used either i probably wouldn't notice a diffrence between the two because either will be a leap from my mouse. think i'll stick with the bamboo for now and then if i actually start making money at this i can upgrade down the line. thanks for the help guys. one more thing to add to the grocery list.

I have a bamboo - its not huge but it works perfect for me. One of the best purchases I've made. You wont regret going with either the bamboo or the intuous.

well im sure i want to get one. everytime i sit down to edit something its on my mind lol. just trying to weigh the costs and size and everything.

trying to edit with my mouse leaves a little to be desired. im wanting to look into the tablets with the pens to use to edit with and wanted to see what everyone is using as far as that is concerned. are they easy to use. something worth a purchase,etc?
Leaving little to be desired means you're relatively happy with your mouse.

I use a Wacom Intuos4 Medium. It's awesome and easy to use....soooo good!

Leaving little to be desired means you're relatively happy with your mouse.

I use a Wacom Intuos4 Medium. It's awesome and easy to use....soooo good!

okay, change it to " it sucks". thats probably more appropriate.

Most reactions

Back