Take the HDR challenge!

I would of never thought that shot would look so good in HDR but it does. Looks great.
Well it is a pretty HDR subject, with deep blacks and sunny highlights. As a 3D artist using HDRI for renderings I have an eye for these. Now to get some tools and experience in this realm.

-Shea

Here's mine. Used Photomatix, and then tweaked a bit in Photoshop. Couldn't be bothered with the RAW files :D

harley-mid_IMG_1556And2More_tonemap.jpg

Also cool, I like those deep blues. Pretty good results from JPGz. So I may have to D-load that software if I'm going to do much of these. Tnx for playin playaa.

-Shea :mrgreen:

No prob! Definitely check out Photomatix as it is pretty cool. I think that they also have a 3.0 beta, which is supposed to be more stable on Vista(don't know if this applies to you or not).

I use Dynamic Photo HDR, i probably just didn't spend enough time in it, i basically threw them in there and let it fly, but it was 1am, i wanted sleep :D

Photomatix seems to make more striking and somewhat artificial looking HDRs. But I agree, the good ones look really nice and distinctive.

Photoshop versions like CS2 and CS3 make more natural or realistic looking composites.

qtpfsgui makes some interesting looking small files, but whenever I try to make a larger rendering, they get really odd looking. (free Linux/Umubtu software, but there's a windows version) It could just be me and the lack of understanding the settings.

Thanks for the Photomatix settings, I haven't done anything with it. Too busy trying to learn how to use Neat Image. (and not doing very well at that)

Question: do you need to use so many different programs like Capture One, Photomatix and Photoshop? Can't you just do it all in Photoshop? Or doesn't that do such a good job in all the post-process work?

Question: do you need to use so many different programs like Capture One, Photomatix and Photoshop? Can't you just do it all in Photoshop? Or doesn't that do such a good job in all the post-process work?

In my opinion ever program has it's strong points, so i tend to use whichever program i feel works best with me at a certain task.

Photoshop does so HDR conversion, but i feel it is quite complicated. Never used Photomatix but it seems to be the peoples choice for HDR image creation ?

do you need to use so many different programs
As was mentioned and is certainly my experience, PS can handle it, but the results are more neutral and less dramatic than photomatix. Good pixel mechanics have many tools.

-Shea

I think it depends on how skilled you are at photoshop. You could get results that are as good or maybe better than Photomatix if you are really good. I have seen some before, that were exceptional. they are usually people who are graphic/concept artists who do a little photography.

I use 3 programs for editing. Each has its own purpose. Sure you can perform the same or similar actions in Photoshop, but the result would be different for me.

Post-processing is just another area where you can put your style into your images. Just like you can when you take the photo on location.

Here's my go at it. The first is straight out of Photomatix and the next two were tweeked in Lightroom. I also used the jpegs.
harley-dark28-229_IMG_1557And2More_.jpg

harley-dark28-229_IMG_1557And2Mo-1.jpg

harley-dark28-229_IMG_1557And2Mo-2.jpg

Cool, I like the bottom one. Keeps the blues without too much orange cast. This is starting to look Gieger-Esq! :thumbup:
harley-dark_giegeresq.jpg

-Shealien

Ok, downloaded Photomatix messed around for a few hours. Should probably just concentrate on shooting for now...

photomatix-harley-filter-noiseHDR.jpg

-Shea

Most reactions

New Topics

Back