Taking off the lens every time?

blueofspirit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do people take off their lenses from the body every time after a shoot and store separately? Or is the common practice to leave the lens on? What's better in terms of protecting the lens? Does it matter? Thanks!

I leave a lens on my camera 99.9% of the time. The only time it's got a body cap on it is when I want to sit down and clean my gear.

I think that most people leave a lens on the camera most of the time. Partially so that the camera is ready to shoot...and partially because it's unnecessary to take it off every time.

I think there is an increased chance of damage if you mount and dismount the lens a lot more often, that's just basic statistics. More practically, you are more likely to get more dust & dirt into the camera (and onto the sensor), the more you remove the lens.

Of course, it depends on how you store your gear. If leaving the lens attached, causes you to store them in a precarious position, then it might be better to detach them.

i have a lens on my camera 99% of the time and like photoXopher its when im cleaning that i dont. when you dont have a lens on be sure to put the body cap on so you dont get dust in it. i store mine with a lens on in my camera bag so im usually ready to go at anytime.

Big Mike gave a good summary - provided that you keep your gear in such a manner that the lens mount is not put under undue pressure you should be fine with keeping the lens on the camera at all times

Thanks all for the advice!! I have a Canon 450D with a 50mm 1.4 and a 24-70 2.8L as a upgraded walkaround lens, as well as the stock lens. With the 50mm or the stock lens I keep the lens on at all times but with the 24-70 given its weight I'm a little wary - and take it off after I'm back from a shoot. Are my fears with the 24-70 unwarranted?

I leave a lens on each of my bodies all the time. It keeps me from getting dust inside the body and it keeps the bodies ready for use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back