Taking photos in rough neighborhoods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crystal Lynn (and others),

Are you assuming that the residents of this "unsafe" area are "minorities?

I've read thru the entire post and I'm surprised no one has just come out and say that they are afraid to be in areas populated by people who are not white? Could the sight of black and brown faces be the reason for fear?

Just know that crime happens everwhere. Would anyone be afraid in a neighborhood of white people? I guess it all depends on the skin you're living in.

If you look at the statistics then yes the "unsafe" areas would be occupied by "minorities", i mean stereotypes arent just made up by somewhite guy sitting in a room without ever observing the outside world, stereotypes are created by observations of a group acting a certain repeatingly not just once.

That's absolutely correct. You have the right to defend yourself but not to exact revenge afterwards. Be glad that it was only a civil suit. You could have been brought up on criminal charges.

"Revenge" was furthest thing from my mind - I just wanted to get out of situation - beating him up was continuous part of defense after I got him on ground. Not like I walked away and decided to come back to get him. Not sure what lawyers would've thrown at me if I had shot him - is that considered worse then beating him up?

As a nerdly student, I was just a target of opportunity.

If I were carrying expensive equipment and someone plan to mug me for that equipment, today, I will give up the equipment and contact my insurance company. Not worth getting beat up, or shot, AND I have no idea what is considered justifiable nowadays.

I once nearly got mugged with $4000+ worth of equipment on me, luckily the guy was drunk so he went down like a sack of potatoes haha, but the best advice would be to definitely always keep your equipment insured, and never put yourself at risk over your camera. :)

Yep it was kicking his *** so he knows better for next time
instead of protecting the criminal and giving him MONEY!!!

Interesting that you're willing to risk a lawsuit AND a criminal conviction. Forget about the Sullivan Law. As a convicted felon, you won't be able to buy a gun anywhere in this country.

Good thing to learn would be basic martial arts takedown moves. I can and have taken someone twice my size to the ground in about two seconds. This was a controlled environment, thankfully I've never had to do it anywhere else. And, unless the other guy has the training, he's not gonna know what you're doing or how to counter. Most important thing to remember, though, is just drop him and get away.

"Revenge" was furthest thing from my mind - I just wanted to get out of situation - beating him up was continuous part of defense after I got him on ground. Not like I walked away and decided to come back to get him. Not sure what lawyers would've thrown at me if I had shot him - is that considered worse then beating him up?

As a nerdly student, I was just a target of opportunity.

If I were carrying expensive equipment and someone plan to mug me for that equipment, today, I will give up the equipment and contact my insurance company. Not worth getting beat up, or shot, AND I have no idea what is considered justifiable nowadays.

Revenge might have been the furthest thing from your mind but your actions did not convey that. Once he was on the ground, you were no longer defending yourself, regardless of what you believe. It IS like you walked away and decided to come back to get him.

If you had shot him? What do you think?

I think he was just asking about the neighborhood he lives in..

No, I mean overall. What is in these neighborhoods that one would want a picture of so bad to go through all of this?

Interesting that you're willing to risk a lawsuit AND a criminal conviction. Forget about the Sullivan Law. As a convicted felon, you won't be able to buy a gun anywhere in this country.

That's true but not me.

Anyone who is willing to fight and knock the guy out is
probably not going to call the cops after ;)
and neither is the mugger.

Crystal Lynn (and others),

Are you assuming that the residents of this "unsafe" area are "minorities?

I've read thru the entire post and I'm surprised no one has just come out and say that they are afraid to be in areas populated by people who are not white? Could the sight of black and brown faces be the reason for fear?

Just know that crime happens everwhere. Would anyone be afraid in a neighborhood of white people? I guess it all depends on the skin you're living in.

I believe I stated to bring a friend that fits in with the general nationality of the neighborhood. Skin color does not equal violent and unsafe, however individuals in that neighborhood will be less suspicious of you if you are there with someone of their skincolor/nationality.

My family is a mix of asian, black, italian, native american, and more. I would have to be afraid of more than half of my family if my fear was based on skin color.

I believe I stated to bring a friend that fits in with the general nationality of the neighborhood. Skin color does not equal violent and unsafe, however individuals in that neighborhood will be less suspicious of you if you are there with someone of their skincolor/nationality.

My family is a mix of asian, black, italian, native american, and more. I would have to be afraid of more than half of my family if my fear was based on skin color.

Correct.

Same goes for my neighborhood. In my Jewish neighborhood
when I walk down the street people look in curiosity and all
(it's really annoying) but if a person who was not visibly Jewish
were doing that in my neighborhood there would be problems.

And I have seen this myself: I was walking down the street and
I saw a guy taking pictures that wasn't "Jewish", I then
saw some guys on immediately getting on cell phones calling
probably the cops while they were observing and watching him.

It's just a community thing it makes no difference where really.

If someone is attacking you and you knock them down, you want to be really sure that they can't get back up immediately and follow you, call their friends, or grab a heavy object while you are walking away. That's depending on the particular circumstances; probably not in college, but certainly in a bad neighborhood.

In the end it comes own to who has a better lawyer, right?

If someone is attacking you and you knock them down, you want to be really sure that they can't get back up immediately and follow you, call their friends, or grab a heavy object while you are walking away. That's depending on the particular circumstances; probably not in college, but certainly in a bad neighborhood.

In the end it comes own to who has a better lawyer, right?

You've described a situation that's very much in the "shades of gray." Would a reasonable person fear that this individual might "get back up immediately and follow you, call their friends, or grab a heavy object while you are walking away" or are you exacting revenge? If the former, then you haven't done anything wrong but if the latter, then you're guilty of battery.

You would certainly need a "better lawyer" because your intentions are not clear in this example, as you have described it. However, there may be other conditions that you have not included. Perhaps this individual shouted to you that he intends to "get back up, etc." and therefore your actions are completely justified. On the other hand, perhaps he was unconscious and your actions are totally unjustified.

Proof is, of course, a concern. In the extreme case, the mugger could allege that you initiated the original attack and he was merely defending himself. In the absence of witnesses, it becomes a case of who is more believable to a jury and, again, a "better lawyer" is clearly important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back