Taking photos in rough neighborhoods

Status
Not open for further replies.
But still the guy has either been shot or succesfull by now let it go. Start a new thread if you want to talk this philosophy and if so I think it fits better in off-topic.

Just go naked that will scare them off plus they will see you have nothing of value a side from your camera but whos gunna wrestle a naked guy over a camera? Not his guy

Good logic, but then again its hard to take a picture with your hands cuffed behind your back in the back seat of a police car. However, if you can talk them into letting you take some pictures they might make for some interesting perspective shots! ;)

If your walking around a place where there are actual 'Thieves' with knives and guns waiting to murder any old person for $1000, you should probably move. Let's be realisic here, robberies like that are pretty spur of the moment. I don't think there are that many people walking around with weapons looking to steal expensive things off people, especially in neighborhoods where most people won't do that.

If you feel like your life is going to be in danger because "it looks like a nice place to shoot", it's probably not a good risk to reward ratio.

Also, advising someone to bring a firearm because they want to take photos is just retarded. I'm sorry, but nobody needs to get killed over a camera, not even the thief. That's like saying you have no problem shooting someone over a computer or something.

First thing when you get there, kill someone. Tends to intimidate.

If your going to go somewhere, were you feel you need to carry a gun and might need to use it, go to Iraq or Israel! If not, just dont go to the ghetto, afterall, no photo is worth getting beat up over or shot!

It looks like this subject has been pretty well slapped around, but here is my $.02. I comes down to "street smarts". I grew up in and around some pretty rough areas. Been jumped and beat up several times, and lived to tell about it. I have since moved to a less violent area. Notice I said "less" violent. I have and carry a gun when I find myself shooting (photo shooting that is) in areas where there is the risk of danger. I do have a permit for those who are wondering, and I take time to stay familiar with my gun just like my camera. The gun is not there to protect my camera either, it's there to protect me.....but a very last resort. Yet growing up around danger, I can look ahead at a situation a tell very quicly if it's something I can or should avoid......AND, that's they key. All it takes it just that one second of bad luck, and you're in a world of poop. Think of it this way, "You have to be lucky all the time, the thugs only have to be lucky once". Your head is the most important weapon for self defense and survival. Make sure you know how to use it.

First thing when you get there, kill someone. Tends to intimidate.

hahahahaa

I think you just have to do what you have to do, if you need to get the shots, get the shots. have your cell on and ready to dial, and know the streets around you. If you get a bad bad gut feeling go away and come back in 30 minutes. scope it out very good park on higher ground and look for 5 minutes before you get out of your car. dont let your in car lights turn on when you open your door.

little stuff like that can help you be unnoticed.

Have your camera already on your tripod. When you take off, dont take it off , just set in in the back seat safely, and take off if you can.

these small issues can shave minutes off your actual time in the bad area.

If you see someone scoping you out pretend to be on your cell phone and look at them as your talking. chances are they will walk away. if not, you should take off.

Get your shots and take off. if your shooting at night with a tripod, dress in detective like clothes, jeans and a sweater with a cell phone earpiece and a notepad. Chances are they will think you are working for the government and itll take more of them to finally think up the courage to bug you. By that time your allready done.

hope it helps even a little.

Ive worked in the city with a traffic crew and we had to go into some rough neighbor hoods to do work and these are the main ideas i got.

1. Early Morning- if they arent awake they cant steal from you.
2. Dont act like you own the place but dont act like a scared B*tch
3. Dont carry alot of stuff figure out what lense you want and use it the more you carry the more inviting to robbery you are.
4.bring a friend
5. If you do bring a gun remember it isnt to flash around and act hard its for that last resort cant get to my car use it as a deterence. Because once you pull the Gun your never gonna get back in that neighbor hood.

But my best would be make sure you go in the morning and they wont be awake

Here's a better idea. Get insurance on your equipment, and if it gets stolen then you are not out anything except a small deductible... nor do you have to spray the neighborhood with bullets.

I just added my newer equipment as "scheduled coverage" on my homeowner's policy. The coverage is "all risk" with zero deductible and, in the event of loss, the payout is replacement cost. I'll get my D80 replaced if I drop it down a flight of stairs! Costs me $40/year for $2500 of equipment but I don't know how much the price varies with location (I'm in NJ).

If your going to go somewhere, were you feel you need to carry a gun and might need to use it, go to Iraq or Israel!

Been there done that, I had a few close calls but capture some good photos that got picked up in many newspapers and magazines. Though I dont have to shoot a gun unless its a last resort, like im the only one left alive kind of scenerio.

Here is what I do:
1) Call police and hubby and let them know where I will be shooting and when.

2) Always bring a male friend that is of the same general nationality of the neighborhood, ie Asian, Black, Hispanic, etc. (Milwaukee is pretty segregated.)

3) Leave if intuition tells me to.

4) I had a fake news badge made up. If people inquire I tell them I am doing a documentary on the unfairness/plight of minorities. Usually gets them talking and gives you more "protection".

5) Always, always, got my dog. She is little but feisty, most people either find her a threat or cute. either way it helps me.

6) Only carry what I absolutely will need.

7) Don't act scared or nervous.

8) Treat them with respect and usually you will get respect in return.

9) Ask younger neighborhood kids to "help" have them hold reflectors and such even if you don't need them.

I think the younger kids helping and the fake badge are the two things that help the most though.

HTH

Get insurance.

If something happens, give up the camera.

Weapon/s never a good idea because people who want your camera will either surprise you, be in larger numbers, or have weapons themselves.

Not worth getting hurt over couple thousand dollars - especially if insured.

If you ask nicely, maybe they will give you back the CF card so it's not a total waste of time :)

i like to carry a sword when i am taking photos in a rough neighbourhood, either that or a lance... if anyone gives me any trouble, i just get medieval on their ass...

Havent had time to read through all posts...

I go to church in South Camden, NJ. For those of you who dont know that right up there next to Compton. Its also 10 minutes away from Morrestown. Which for those of you who dont know was voted the best city to live in in USA. I live right between the 2, so i get it all. My family goes to church there becuase it makes you feel like your making a difference by going there and helping the poor. You have to understand 90 percent of the people there are pretty much the opposite of violent (not saying not scary, haha) I have been there at 12 at night for Christmass night mass. You dont feel the most comfortable, but you still go out there. They key to being comfortable is being with other people. One person is not going to take on 5 over something they might not be sure of the value of. Another obvious thing is to go during the daylight hours. Try to fit in by wearing simple dull clothes and keeping your gear in a kachi(sp?) bag and drive a "beater car".

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back