Taking pics of thunderstorm?

Wikipedia said:
Bulb is a shutter-speed setting on an adjustable camera that allows for long exposures under user control. When set on "B", the shutter will stay open as long as the shutter release button remains depressed.

It basically allows you to open the shutter for as long as you want.

For nighttime lighting..

get a tripod

and set the shutter speed as slow as you can.
im sure you have at least a few seconds on there right?

Or does it have M mode to?

with my odl kodak P&s i could go up to 30 seconds ( but that was a bit long as light poloutio would start to take over where i live)

so i stayed at like 15 seconds.

jsut keep taking 15 second pics. and hope during one of them you catch a strike.

Now heres the tricky part..

you start the pic. 3 seconds in you get an awesome bolt right down the center of the frame.
5 seconds later a really bright flash in clouds in the same area of sky
That will overexpose that area and you will lose the 1st bolt.

So if you get a good shot, have a piece of cardboard or somthing and put it over the lens for the remainder of the shutter time.

But then again if 5 or 6 botls happen in the same area in 15 seconds and you get them all, that could make a really cool picture with so many bolts..

So just experiment.

in the daytime its much harder..

as even with the smallest apterature you cant keep the shutter open very long. ND filters would help out.
or a really really quick trigger finger. ( as some storms have the lighting that seems to linger for a moment or two)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back