Taking pictures of puppies

Curiosity Cosby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting a new bulldog puppy, and want to know how to take better photographs of him when he is ready to come home this Friday. He came to visit the other night, and I took a couple pictures just while he was here. This one is my favorite, let me know what you think, and let me know if you have any advice on taking portraits of animals! Thanks!

Layingonlegcopy.jpg

I have an American Staffy, she's about a year now and I think I have about a million photos of her!! I have a problem!

Your pup is gorgeous. The most important thing is just to post LOADS of photos here as you're practicing :) Looks like you're off to a good start.

With my pup I just used her as an opportunity to learn, as she'd play or sleep I'd mess with my camera settings and take a bunch of photos till I got it right. You take photos under so many conditions that's there's no one right setting to use.

You can also google animal / pet photographers. You'll get a ton of hits. Browse through till you find someone whose style you like and copy it for a while. When you get the hang of what you like you can do your own thing.

ETA: This website and book (there's also a forum) saved us when we got our puppy. There's heaps of great advice there and the community on the forum is amazing. Best of luck with the pup :)

Thanks I'll have to keep all that in mind! I can't imagine I will have anything less than about a million pictures of him after the first week he is home ;)

Me: Hello all. I'm Mike and I also have a million photos of my dog.

All: Hello Mike.

My yellow Lab is only 6 months old. She has a ways to go before she exceeds the kid's photos though. She will exceed them I'm sure. Dogs don't start running away from the camera as they get older, hehe.

Dogs don't start running away from the camera as they get older, hehe.

You can also train a dog to sit still, stick them in funny poses and dress them up stupid and they always forgive you...

13235f058ba400be9286e6a2028db25d9267cb1.jpg

Looks slightly underexposed and the white balance is off just a bit. Other than that nice shot and super cute pup.

Focus (literally and figuratively) on the eyes. Do what you have to do to get the eyes clear, bright and sharp as a tack. - TF

omfg what a cute dog. :lol:

I'm afraid I can't comment much on good dog pics because I don't have one thanks to my WIFE... :lol: (long story)

I did, however, have to say that the dog was cute. :) LOVE bulldogs. Such cool animals.

>snort< >snort< >snort<

:lol:

I definitely have a problem with shooting a whole crap load of pics of my American Bulldog!!! Cute pup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back