Taking pro pictures of guitars

You are asking alot. I think we can give basic recommendations about equipment, but we need to know what you have now.

Those were shot in a small studio, could even be a makeshift home studio. My guess would be at least two sources of defused light given the shadows I see.

So, any decent quality camera with manual settings will give you the image quality we see here. On the low end, something like a Canon SX10 IS or Rebel XS all the way up to the most expensive camera you can think of.

You can do cheap shop lights defused with cloth or tissue paper. Perhaps $40 investment in lights. You'll need a backdrop, it looks like they used a background paper or think cloth given the wrinkle you see. Perhaps another $20 or so for the backdrop depending on where you find it.

This is how I do it:

504781251_iFdVF-L.jpg

To get results similar to this:

508530083_3fPgC-L.jpg

506589833_rfoxa-L.jpg

Those were shot in a small studio, could even be a makeshift home studio. My guess would be at least two sources of defused light given the shadows I see.

So, any decent quality camera with manual settings will give you the image quality we see here. On the low end, something like a Canon SX10 IS or Rebel XS all the way up to the most expensive camera you can think of.

You can do cheap shop lights defused with cloth or tissue paper. Perhaps $40 investment in lights. You'll need a backdrop, it looks like they used a background paper or think cloth given the wrinkle you see. Perhaps another $20 or so for the backdrop depending on where you find it.

This is how I do it:

504781251_iFdVF-L.jpg

To get results similar to this:

508530083_3fPgC-L.jpg

506589833_rfoxa-L.jpg

Wow that looks absolutely amazing! I have a very good camera its a cannon towards the higher end but the model name escapes me at the moment. Are there any other recommendations you can give me as far as brand/specific types of lights, backdrops, and set ups? That would be very helpful! ROCK ON!
-C

whats wrong with those photos? they look great?

btw, i play on a Malmsteen sig Fender Strat :)

They arent mine thats the whole problem lol! I need to know how to do that =D

Awesome I love them =D If you ever need anything at all ill hook up.
-C

You are asking alot. I think we can give basic recommendations about equipment, but we need to know what you have now.

Alex all I have is a very good canon camera... I need to know how to do it all or at least be pointed in the right direction.. Thanks brother
-C

Wow that looks absolutely amazing! I have a very good camera its a cannon towards the higher end but the model name escapes me at the moment. Are there any other recommendations you can give me as far as brand/specific types of lights, backdrops, and set ups? That would be very helpful! ROCK ON!
-C
Do you have a budget in mind? Is this something you're going to do a lot or is it just something you're mildly interested in and may not use the lights more than a few times?

Do you have a budget in mind? Is this something you're going to do a lot or is it just something you're mildly interested in and may not use the lights more than a few times?

No budget this is my business I will use them almost everyday

and it is very important you cant see any glare or flash on the guitar

Ohhh a 1D Mark III. But what exactly is this?

506589833_rfoxa-L.jpg

No budget this is my business I will use them almost everyday
A good lighting setup for a reasonable amount of money coupled with probably the best warranty service available is offered by Alien Bee.

AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment

You could start off with two AB400 lights (800's are only a little more and will give you more flexibility). A couple of small or medium softboxes (one for each light), two stands, and you're all set if your Canon has a PC Sync connector for triggering the lights. If not, you can buy a single CyberSync transmitter and receiver to trigger your lights. The second light would work as an optical slave (flashes when it detects the firing of your primary light).

Ohhh a 1D Mark III. But what exactly is this?
That would be a FNH P90. It's an ultra modern military small arm (e.g. rifle). :) Cool little guy, don't ya think?

That would be a FNH P90. It's an ultra modern military small arm (e.g. rifle). :) Cool little guy, don't ya think?

Cool, yea. What kind of glass is it sporting, and have you gotten any good shots? :D

Okay I am going way off topic, sorry. But I couldn't resist! ;)

Most reactions

Back