Taking The Leap! (and need some advice)

hacksaw35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have made the decision to switch from Nikon to Canon and step up to full frame...going from a D80 to a 5D MarkII.

I have budgeted about 2k for lenses and am trying to decide what to start out with. I shoot baby portraits (all natural lighting) for the $ and travel (street/landscape) for fun.

Option 1 - 85mm 1.2 & 20mm 2.8

Option 2 - 24-70mm 2.8

What do you think?

I'd go for the zoom. Way more versatility. The 85 1.2 is a gorgeous lens, but are you really going to use that super-slim DoF often enough to justify the OMG cost?

So I have made the decision to switch from Nikon to Canon and step up to full frame...going from a D80 to a 5D MarkII.

I have budgeted about 2k for lenses and am trying to decide what to start out with. I shoot baby portraits (all natural lighting) for the $ and travel (street/landscape) for fun.

Option 1 - 85mm 1.2 & 20mm 2.8

Option 2 - 24-70mm 2.8

What do you think?

Why a 20?

I simply would not buy Canon's 85mm f/1.2-L lens...I've looked at it on several different bodies, and it's just so heavy,massive-looking,and slow-focusing...I don't think it's worth the price compared to the Canon 85mm 1.8 EF lens. Unless you've tried the 85/1.2-L and feel that you absolutely must have it for some reason, I'd simply say hold off on buying it. Moving from a 1.5x to a FF camera is a good thing for people photography. As far as the 24-70...I think it's too wide for almost all people work at the short end, and is not quite long enough at the 70mm end. To me, the 24 to 70mm range on FF is rather humdrum and the size and weight of the typical manufacturer's 24-70/2.8 is immense. I'd rather have a smaller-profile,lighter weight lens for street/travel shots.

Thanks for the replies. I think you have talked me out of all my previous options. I didn't realize how much the 1.2 actually was...I thought it was like $1200, but $1900 for a prime...jeez.

So, I think I will go with the 85 1.8 for the portraits. But, I wish it was an L lens.
Now for my travel (landscape/street) lens...what do you guys think...I don't really mind extra weight, what about the 16-35 2.8L II? Thoughts?

Most reactions

Back