tamron 17-50 2.8

photogincollege

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey everyone i hear this is a very good lens for the price does anyone know of any problems with it. Also how sharp is it? sorry for all the lens questions just trying to narrow it down a bit so when i go to the store i have lenses in mind to look at.

I bought this lens a few months ago and enjoy it very much. I have not had any problems with it at all and it is on my camera 90% of the time. The AF is a little noisy but fairly fast and accurate. I haven't done any sharpness tests myself. Here is a review that shows image quality of the lens.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_17-50_review.html

It also has a tendancy for the front element to come loose. There are 3 screws inside that for some reason are not properly scured by Tamron.

If one has the ability, you can take those 3 screws off, add a TOUCH of loctite, replace them and never worry.

Or you could get the Sigma 18-50 HSM which has less CA, less vignetting and is sharper than the Tamron or the Nikkor equivalent and has a 3:1 macro thrown in for good measure.

The September 2007 issue of Professional Photographer has an article that has a shoot out between these lenses... the Sigma won, but only by a hair. This was enough for me to purchase it. I am VERY happy with it.

I've got the Tamron. It's a pretty good lens; it seem well built (I've never heard of the loose screw problem) and the images are quite sharp.

The AF is a little more noisy that a nice Canon 'USM' lens...but it's has never been a problem for me.

It also has a tendancy for the front element to come loose. There are 3 screws inside that for some reason are not properly scured by Tamron.

If one has the ability, you can take those 3 screws off, add a TOUCH of loctite, replace them and never worry.

Or you could get the Sigma 18-50 HSM which has less CA, less vignetting and is sharper than the Tamron or the Nikkor equivalent and has a 3:1 macro thrown in for good measure.

The September 2007 issue of Professional Photographer has an article that has a shoot out between these lenses... the Sigma won, but only by a hair. This was enough for me to purchase it. I am VERY happy with it.
The HSM is only available on the Nikon mount with this lens.
Photozone prefers the Tamron... http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1850_28m_nikon/index.htm

I have this lens and it's the one I use the most. I really like it, there are better lenses out there for sure, but the price:quality ratio is very good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back