Tamron 17-50 2.8

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any stories, pros, con, or any insight on this lens? My uncle has a D7000 and uses it with that but recently is upgrading to the D800 I believe and told me he would sell the lens to me with a hoya filter for 300. Clean glass and all that, figured it would beat my kit lens?

any insight?

I use this lens on my D7000 and I like it and use it a lot. I have the older non VC one and I bought it used from Amazon. I research just about anything before buying it and I read mostly positives on this lens. It focuses very closely and as an experiment I shot a cicada at minimum focusing distance that came out very sharp. I don't use it for such things as I have a macro lens but just saying. Why can't you borrow this lens from your uncle for a day or two to help you make the decision? In my opinion it's a darn good lens for the money.

Jerry

It's a sharp lens. It just focuses slowly and noisily. It'll be better than your kit lens as far as sharpness, but overall, I think it's a good 'bridge' lens, for when you're saving up for the Nikon 17-55 or something.. or if focus speed isn't important to you, it's a good lens.

he lives in Florida and I live in Pennsylvania, so he is a good few hours from me. Most likely I'll buy it!

I have one and I think it is a very good lens, sharp and clean. A lot better that any kit lens. Not a bad price if it is clean, they go for around $ 350.00 and up used. I would not part with this lens or my Tamron 28-75mm both great,

I have the non vc version and I really like it. It is very sharp and the focus seems fairly quick and accurate to me considering it's a third party lens.

I have the non vc version and I really like it. It is very sharp and the focus seems fairly quick and accurate to me considering it's a third party lens.

I agree about the focus in that I've never been aware of mine focusing slowly nor being noisy when focusing.

Jerry

Weird.. The focus speed (slow), with some slight hunting thrown in before it locks focus, (maybe that's what bugged me the most) and noise of the motor is the first thing I noticed. I thought it was a problem with my copy at first, but read that it's normal so figured i'd deal with it since I couldn't afford the Nikon version. I like to shoot motorsports, and while I don't use this focal length much for cars, when I do, I need it to focus quickly and the Tamron wasn't cutting it. I missed quite a few shots. Eventually I saved up for the Nikon 17-55 afs and the difference is night and day in focus speed, how quickly it locks, and no noisy motor.

That's not saying the Tamron's a bad lens. The glass is actually pretty damned good IMO.

Weird.. The focus speed (slow), with some slight hunting thrown in before it locks focus, (maybe that's what bugged me the most) and noise of the motor is the first thing I noticed. I thought it was a problem with my copy at first, but read that it's normal so figured i'd deal with it since I couldn't afford the Nikon version. I like to shoot motorsports, and while I don't use this focal length much for cars, when I do, I need it to focus quickly and the Tamron wasn't cutting it. I missed quite a few shots. Eventually I saved up for the Nikon 17-55 afs and the difference is night and day in focus speed, how quickly it locks, and no noisy motor.

That's not saying the Tamron's a bad lens. The glass is actually pretty damned good IMO.

Is your the VC or non-VC version? If it is the VC version, that might account for the focus delay and noise. I have also heard rumors that the non-VC version is actually sharper than the VC version but I don't know if it's true.

Is your the VC or non-VC version? If it is the VC version, that might account for the focus delay and noise. I have also heard rumors that the non-VC version is actually sharper than the VC version but I don't know if it's true.

It's the older non-vc.

Here's a video i found of the focus sound..

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing was loud lol. I actually wanted that lens.

That thing was loud lol. I actually wanted that lens.

If you can get over the sound and focus speed (part of the focus speed issue is it always slows down to fine tune before it locks), and a nikon/canon version isn't in your budget, then it's a nice sharp lens for the cost. Personally, I couldn't get past those things and saved up for the 17-55 Nikon.. no regrets.

Here's one of my Tamron shots.. pretty sharp.

Meep, Meep by bhop, on Flickr

Last edited:
Whether the noise is irritating or not depends on how sensitive the person is to certain sounds. I guess I've never given it a thought because honestly the noise does not faze me. I suppose after living very close to O'Hare Field plus an interstate highway and railroad tracks for nearly thirty three years I've become immune to small noises.;)

Jerry

I have this lens and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

I bought them both used and I have no complaints. I haven't noticed the focus noise, really, but I haven't really ever paid attention to it.

I'm using the 17-50 as my kit lens for now. One day, I'll have the money to buy a Nikkor 24-70 & 70-200 f/2.8, but these Tamrons will suit me just fine until then. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back