Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Vicelord John

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lovin the price. How's the performance and construction? Is the Tokina counterpart a better product?

I've shot with the Nikkor 17-55 f2.8 quite a few times and like it much, but I don't make that kind of money. Currently I am shooting with the 18-55VR kit lens.

Last edited:
Ya a lot of great things i've heard about it. I really want it but it is for DX cameras only and really want to start building up FX glass because I want to eventually go to a d700/d3 so that's the glass i'm saving for. It also has their version of VR which is supposed to be excellent. GL
TJ

So I do a lot of night photography and should avoid it?

the sigma of the same (or similar) specs is right around the same pricepoint also!

The new one with the VC is supposed to be really good in low light. Like f2.8 iso 800 and you can apparently get 1/8 shutter speed. I would say go with it. Returns are always possible anyways.
TJ

He is talking about full frame vs. crop body glass. Some of the nikon glass is designed for the crop sensor, and some for the full frame sensor.

He is talking about full frame vs. crop body glass. Some of the nikon glass is designed for the crop sensor, and some for the full frame sensor.

this:

"I have it and i think its a great lens for the price. The only probs i have with mine is that it will hunt for focus in low light. Yes the Nikon is better, but if money is an issue go for the Tamron you wont be disappointed."

Does not reference crop frame vs. full frame, but thanks for your input.

I'm not sure about his version and the copy he got but from the reading i've done(i really was contemplating this lens) it is a great night photography and walk around lens.

The 2.8 is supposed to be really good. A little soft at 17 f/2.8 but stopped down to f/4 amazing. Focusing is fast and accurate.

It has vibration control compared to it's sigma counterpart. The sigma is also 18 but 18vs17 really isn't that noticeable. If you have the money you shouldn't be disappointed especially in low light where the lens shines.
TJ

I have the older model (no VC) that I bought 3 years ago and it has been my walkaround lens both with my 30D and now with my 7D. It lives on my camera >75% of the time. It does well in low light and it is sharp and solidly built. The only issue it has is that it may not focus as fast as an ultrasonic motor, but that has not bothered me.

I've seen used ones in the $300 range and a new one without VC is only about $475 on Amazon (add about $150 for the VC version). Frankly, I've never felt the need for VC in this focal range.

The one I am looking at is the non-VC.

Well, as I said, that wouldn't bother me in the least and, if it's used, should be available in the $300-375 range.

Most reactions

Back