Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3

Bellaluna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have this lens? Do you like it?

This summer I'm going on a Study Abroad trip for school to London, Normandy, and Paris and I'd like a good walk-around lens. Since I'm going with a school group, I'm not going to have the time to be switching back and forth between lenses. I own a D90 and already own the 18-105, the 55-200, and the 50 f/1.8. I'm considering selling my 18-105 and 55-200 in order to buy the Tamron. Is this a good choice? I'm only a hobby photographer, so don't want to spend a ton of money (since I'm already laying down a lot to go on this trip!), but I want something decent since this is a once in a lifetime trip.

Thanks!

Your going to get a bunch of "Super Zooms and decent don't belong in the same sentance!!" reply's...

I've never used it so i cant say, but i wouldn't expect it to be better then your current lenses (probably worse at the start and end of the range).

Your going to get a bunch of "Super Zooms and decent don't belong in the same sentance!!" reply's...

I figured that :mrgreen:. I know it's not a professional quality lens, hence the price. I would like to take nice pictures while I'm there, but I cannot shell out thousands for a lens at the moment. Trust me, I drool everyday over the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8, but I simply do not have the funds. I just want to have a lens that will maximize my chances to get the pictures I want while in a highly scheduled group setting. If this isn't the lens to do it with, I'm open to other suggestions :).

If I were going on a Study Abroad trip and my objective was to not have to change lenses but still get some nice shots, I would NOT buy the Tamron 18-270--I'd buy a decent bridge camera instead.

You could bring the 18-105mm...

I've been to most of the places you've listed... what are you mostly wanting to shoot?

London and Paris are all about the architecture and history (for me at least)... My UWA (Tokina 12-24mm f/4) lives on my camera in those locations. The minute you walk into a place like Sainte Chapelle you'll want wider and something good in low light :)

The 18-250mm Sigma with macro has gotten good reviews. I have tested it but decided to save my money instead for the 70-200mm nikon f4. Almost there!!!:D

The woman is asking for a lens not a new camera!

The woman is asking for a lens not a new camera!

We aren't stupid but she would be better off carrying around a compact megazoom rather than a bulky DSLR and super zoom that is notoriously mushy on images. She also asked for suggestions

Last edited:
I never travel with my DSLR any more.. but i learned long ago not to preach 'the benefits of a smaller high-quality camera while traveling' on these forums :)

PS.. Sony RX100 is what i use... and it can be found for half price now that the RX100II is out

I have the 18 270 VC PZD canon mount and love it. It is Very reasonably sharp with good color rendition and feels pretty solid built. I never shot a it's widest but usually 35nn and above. Just some of my finding with it. @ 35 through 100 very sharp. from 100-200 still pretty sharp and from 200 to 270 some softening with some vignette @ 270mm in corners. A little sharpening in post and cropping and your good to go. For the price point it is a good value and I would recommend it. Posted A shot below with the tammy that looks sharp to me @ 270.

IMG_0308 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

The 18-270 is a great value given the amount of range but as with almost all equipment there is a give and take. Not saying it is the right or best choice for everyone but I think the mega zoom would be best.

So I've got some positive and lots of negative on the lens :lol:. I'm thinking maybe I should keep my 18-105 for a good walk around and invest in a wide angle lens instead?

London and Paris are all about the architecture and history (for me at least)... My UWA (Tokina 12-24mm f/4) lives on my camera in those locations. The minute you walk into a place like Sainte Chapelle you'll want wider and something good in low light

In London we are visiting Westminster, St. Paul's Cathedral, the Imperial War Museum, Houses of Parliament, etc. In Paris we are going to Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, we may be headed down to Versailles, and a few other places, I can't remember off the top of my head. It's a trip for the 70th anniversary of Normandy, so we're taking a ferry across the channel and touring the battlefield too. I'm pretty excited!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back