Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD - opinion

I'm going to have to give it a negative, finally. I was toying with the idea of getting the 1.4x or 2.0x TC to entend the reach of the lens a bit.

I couldn't find any definitive answers online about if they work with the 70-200 or not, some reviews said they did, others said autofocus didn't work, others said the quality was piss poor. So I decided to email Tamron:

Thank you for contacting Tamron. Both teleconverters are actually the same; they just came in different colors. Unfortunately Tamron teleconverters are not compatible with newer digital lenses/cameras. You may experience extreme image quality or auto focus issues. For more information, please see this service update: Teleconverter Service Updates

Some of our customers have had success using our teleconverters but we could not guarantee functionality on current lenses and camera bodies.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Brian Marley
Customer Service Supervisor
Tamron USA, INC

I had read that service update before, but it wasn't very helpful. Not being able to use a TC is a bit disappointing, but having tons of reach wasn't really why I bought the lens.

I am using a Bower 2x TC with this lens, and a D5200 body, and it works fine connected to all eletronics, with exception of the USD auto-focus system...

Testing shots directly against the sun, for flare test!! No editing, but resizing and conversion from RAW to JPG.
This lens is really really amazing.

Click to enlarge.

Eventually I will be picking up this Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

I wonder if Sigma is going to pop out with 70-200 f2 Art lens....

You now I have to admit before I bought the first Black Rapid I thought, $70 bucks for a strap? Are you kidding me? Now that I own one I'm just kicking myself for not having bought it earlier. I love the RS-5, I can carry the camera and the 70-200 mm all day in comfort, have room for spare batteries, memory card, microfiber cloth all in the storage spaces built into the strap - I don't need a bag at all really. Best $70 I ever spent.

Funny, I'm not happy with my RS-5 strap. I actually like my Opteka strap better because it didn't slide around and always need to be set right like my RS-5 strap.

Most reactions

Back