Tamron Lense

CJT1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.
I have a lense question please. I am using Canon 80D. I just purchased a Tamron lense 150 to 600. The lense was an upgrade from a kit lense. I went to a local shop to get one on one help as opposed to the web. They took my money and were not helpful at all. Can I please ask some questions abou the lense?... I took it to a high school soccer game and the photos seem to have blur. :(

I do handheld. No tripod. I like to shoot soccer and other sports (softball). I shoot wildbirds perched.

What is vc on off? VC mode 1,2,3? I don't plan to "pan" photos. I wont use "2".
And the distance..."10m-2.2m", "full"?

Please help. Are there any websites and or books about this lense?

Chris

VC comes in handy with lower shutter speeds.
Motion blur comes from insufficient shutter speed.

That is a monster of a lens to shoot handheld for a sport game.

If you bought the lens, didn't is come with a lens manual which explains the VC modes?
If not, check Tamron's site.

What time of the day was the soccer game?
At my local high school, varsity is late afternoon and into the evening, JV is a night game.
Night games are horrible for slow lenses, and that lens qualifies as a slow lens.

What is your shutter speed?
Your minimum shutter speed needs to be 1/(focal length * 1.6) then round UP.

You are going to have to post or link to a picture, so we can see what kind of blur you have.
And post the exposure info, if the EXIF data is not in the image file.

Thank you... It is a "monster"

Well, what about the answers to the questions?
Or do you now know the answers to your problem.

For what you are doing the lens may be a little long and heavy.......

For what you are doing the lens may be a little long and heavy.......

Long depends on where he is sitting/standing vs the subjects.
  • Soccer from the bleachers, that would probably be an OK lens.
  • Softball, very much depends on where you are and where the player he is shooting is. I would not be shooting from behind the protective fence, as the fence could degrade the image.
    • From outside the outfield fence, that would be fine.
    • From near 3rd base, no, too close to the infield and action moves too fast for a lens like that.
    • From near 3rd base to center or right field, probably OK.
Heavy, yes totally agree.
I would shoot it on a mono-pod, to support the weight of the camera+lens.

What I have still not heard is what time of the day.

High school soccer could be a night game under lights.
That would be HARD with a slow lens.​

Softball would be a day game, so lighting should not be a problem.​

Last edited:
Well I have the G2 version of this lens, and use it for birding/wildlife. If you are further than 10m from the action put it on 10m-inf, or 'full' to be on the safe side. If your light is good, I would switch off the VC, and ramp up my shutter speed to 1/1600, or faster. I will shoot at f8, and use Auto ISO.

Use continuous focussing (think it is called servo on canon).

When shooting birds-perched, I set my shutter speed to 1/640, and switch on VC in mode 1. Depending on the light, I might stop down to F8/9, otherwise I shoot wide open (5.6/6.3), centre spot focus field only, continuous focussing (sometimes single spot).

I calibrated my lens though, as it was back focussing. I think you should be able to adjust this on your 80D. You will need a test chart and a tripod to calibrate this lens. I used software, and the dock from Tamron to calibrate my lens, it was a PITA though.

It took me a while to get used to this lens. I've been able to get my shutter speed down to 1/200 when hand held @600m, with VC on in mode 1. But this takes practice.

Sorry to be a pedant, but the singular of 'LENSES' is 'LENS'
This is one of my pet hates, understandable for the many who don't have English as a first language, but far too frequent in sources that should know better, which is spreading the confusion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back