Tamron service?

MACollum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have any experience dealing with Tamron's warranty service? My 70-300mm lens crapped out on me. I started getting the error 99 (first time EVER) on my camera a few days ago. It only seems to start causing the error when it is zoomed in. After the first error, it will do it at any focal length. Of course, I've checked and it is only this lens that causes errors.

I bought it in November 2006 and until now it has been a great lens. I did some reading to see what kind of service I can expect and I found a thread on another forum detailing problems with Tamron's service department (they told this guy that his lens had impact damage, but in fact, they never actually took the lens apart to check). Someone suggested that Tamron has a history of claiming impact damage for many lens problems (considering that they offer a 6 year warranty on US purchases, this could be a real problem). Other people have said that they had good experiences.

Other than taking pictures of the lens, what can I do to avoid getting screwed, if anything? I have never dropped the lens, left it in the heat, or anything. I have treated it very well. I was thinking of buying a new lens but I have one in mind already...I don't want to replace this particular lens, especially when it should be covered under warranty. Thanks for any advice.

Most reactions

Back