Tanya on White

I don't think you're quite where you want to be with this concept (and from your comments you seem to think the same) but I think you're on the right track. I much prefer the square crop, I'd give that a 7 or 8. I don't mind at all where you've cropped across her breasts - Derrel is correct about the "suggestion of sensuality".

I know that in general it's good to have your subject looking into the frame but the extra dead space you've added in the first version is just that - dead. The shear you've laid over her gives that portion of the shot some texture, but the added space is flat. Had the extra space had similar texture, or had you put a hint of something (texture, an object) at the left side of the frame to give her eyes a target, the horizontal orientation may work. But I quite like the feeling I get from the square crop, that there is a mysterious something just out of the frame. That fits the feel of the shot very well.

You're getting the lines in the fabric from draping it over her, so any relative high point (her nose, the top of her head, her left breast) are going to produce lines as the fabric drops to lower points. You can play with this by either putting supports just outside of frame to change this falloff, or you could even manually support the fabric to create various effects as you shoot. There's a limit to what you can do while still keeping the fabric close enough for her to show through as clearly as you'd like, but I bet there's plenty of room to play and get different results.

Looking forward to seeing more experimentation with this! By the way, great job with the model. Well done on the posing, the styling (subdued makeup), and the selection of her in the first place - her short blonde hair works very well with this shot.

I dunno how I feel about it, but I am pretty sure Lady Gaga would soil her pants over this photo.

I don't think you're quite where you want to be with this concept (and from your comments you seem to think the same) but I think you're on the right track. I much prefer the square crop, I'd give that a 7 or 8. I don't mind at all where you've cropped across her breasts - Derrel is correct about the "suggestion of sensuality".

I know that in general it's good to have your subject looking into the frame but the extra dead space you've added in the first version is just that - dead. The shear you've laid over her gives that portion of the shot some texture, but the added space is flat. Had the extra space had similar texture, or had you put a hint of something (texture, an object) at the left side of the frame to give her eyes a target, the horizontal orientation may work. But I quite like the feeling I get from the square crop, that there is a mysterious something just out of the frame. That fits the feel of the shot very well.

You're getting the lines in the fabric from draping it over her, so any relative high point (her nose, the top of her head, her left breast) are going to produce lines as the fabric drops to lower points. You can play with this by either putting supports just outside of frame to change this falloff, or you could even manually support the fabric to create various effects as you shoot. There's a limit to what you can do while still keeping the fabric close enough for her to show through as clearly as you'd like, but I bet there's plenty of room to play and get different results.

Looking forward to seeing more experimentation with this! By the way, great job with the model. Well done on the posing, the styling (subdued makeup), and the selection of her in the first place - her short blonde hair works very well with this shot.

Thanks for the tips I will give it another go.

Most reactions

Back