Tapping the TPF knowledge base (studio lighting)

BuZzZeRkEr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I need to set up some studio lighting, for indoor portraits and product photography. I don't know that much about studio lighting....ok you got me, I don't know anything about studio lighting so I'd like to know where to start.
what would be better? Buying 3 SB-600 speedlights, or getting strobes? Umbrellas, or those sqaure boxy looking things, or both? Pocket wizards, or regular line of site (remote) ? And how many reflectors should I get
I'm going to need the lighting to be set up for
Nikon D200
and only currently have a SB-800

Thanks in advance everone!!

The choice of equipment pretty much depends on how often
and how seriously you're going to use the lighting.

- Do you require portability?
- Do you require high power?
- What kind of portraiture will you be doing?
- What is your budget?
Do you need remote TTL or not?

Answer those questions, and then go over to www.strobist.com and read, read, read!

I'm thinking pocket wizard and three sb-24's. So i guess I'll need one transmitter and 3 receivers?, or maybe I can only use 1 receiver and sync chord the other 2 sb-24's.

product work covers alot, from jewelry to 18 wheelers, tell me more about what you plan on shooting, and I can give you some advice. (a budget as well, would help)

erie

I'm thinking pocket wizard and three sb-24's. So i guess I'll need one transmitter and 3 receivers?, or maybe I can only use 1 receiver and sync chord the other 2 sb-24's.

1 transmitter and 3 receiver sounds ok, but you will find very few use 3 lights often. Even the most experienced get excellent results with 1 flash. I can go up to 5 light sources, but rarely use more than 1-2 depending on what I am doing.

Also, we still have no idea about the questions I asked above. We're just guessing randomly at this point.

I'd suggest before buying anything, invest in a copy of Light: Science and Magic (less than $30 on Amazon) do some reading and you'll have a better idea of what you need.

erie

I'd suggest before buying anything, invest in a copy of Light: Science and Magic (less than $30 on Amazon) do some reading and you'll have a better idea of what you need.

As someone that has that book, I would not say that it will help you out anywhere near like what the strobist site would. They are very much more beginner oriented and basics oriented. The book, though, is heavily quoted and if you follow Lighting 102, they reference modles and pages from it on the strobist site.

Great book... dry as hell. :lol:

As someone that has that book, I would not say that it will help you out anywhere near like what the strobist site would. They are very much more beginner oriented and basics oriented. The book, though, is heavily quoted and if you follow Lighting 102, they reference modles and pages from it on the strobist site.

Great book... dry as hell. :lol:

I did a pretty good amount of reading on the strobist site. Very informative, however it didn't address the question of only having one pocket wizard transmitter and one receiver and sync cabling the other 2 strobes from the speedlight on the receiving end. Is that possible? It seems like the way to go.

This is going to be for a portable studio, the product photography i'm talking about is going to be for things the size of a wine bottle and smaller. I'm also going to be taking portraits with the lighting set up, maybe setup for weddings and receptions etc.

Jerry,
While dry, I admit, it does delve pretty heavily into lighting theory and having that theory in hand, makes the choices easier. Confusing subjects like softbox or scrim size become obvious once you have the basic theory, for example light source size vs. subject size and how it affects shadow softness.

Personally, for portable/location work, I have 4 rather large cases, as well as a dozen or so scrims and reflectors, stands, super clamps, sand bags, etc..all fit into a box truck that we keep a 5kw generator in, but that's what fits my needs, other people have different needs.

erie

I did a pretty good amount of reading on the strobist site. Very informative, however it didn't address the question of only having one pocket wizard transmitter and one receiver and sync cabling the other 2 strobes from the speedlight on the receiving end. Is that possible? It seems like the way to go.

It doesn't address that because it will depend on the flash itself and strobist is not product oriented, but more info and technique oriented.

Can your flash do it? That depends on if your flash has sync outputs or not. Not very many do.

But for this kind of setup where you don't want wires all over the place and distances are not great, you could go for the "poverty wizards" and likely get 3 receivers and 1 transmitter for about $80, so there is no real reason to wire up 2 strobes, even if they can do it.

Honestly, I do not even see the need for more than 2 strobes at most under these circumstances.

For a really cheap DIY project idea for jewelery pics, make a light tent for near nothing!

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/super-simple-light-tent

Most reactions

Back