Tax time is here, Time for a new Full frame Camera

Lost Nikon User

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So the girlfriend is in the market for a full frame. She has tasked me with majority of research....why you ask? because when i research something...itll take me damn near 6 months before making a decision. Super anal here!

So she shoots weddings, portraits, families, animals, low light, intense light, you know what every photographer shoots, EVERYTHING! She really wants a D3S and from everything Ive been reading, the D3S gets out preformed by the D750. I havent done enough research currently and i see the D3S only has 12.1 MP. Seems a bit low but im also unfamiliar with the effects of FX compared to DX sensors. 12.1 on a FX sensor may be better (OFF TO GOOGLE)!!! She currently shoots with a 7100 and a 7000 as a backup, She loves the 7100 for low light sensitivity. She has about 1700 to 2000 to spend on a used FX body. Her current "Mac daddy" lens is a Nikor 24-70 2.8f. So opinions are welcome, i will be tearing up google in order to find out what is best for her. thank you to everyone who responds

The number of pixels in the sensor is only one feature. There are other measures of how good a camera is. Compare the native ISO of each prospective body, for instance.

The D750 is many ways is better then the D3S, its sensor technology is far better, its got more dynamic range, much better low light performance and while I dont think Mega Pixel is everything it still has its virtues so the D750 has advantage there too over the D3S

For what you are saying the D750 will be simply better then the D3S!

So my recommendation is get her the D750

She'll be amazed going from a d7100 to a d750 in low light
I recommend the d750 also.

Ok what about the d4s, she has her heart set on that one. How's the low light between the 810 750 and the d4s?

Thanks for all the help

Sometimes a person is better off getting what they want, not what you or others say is better. Do you value the relationship?

Sometimes a person is better off getting what they want, not what you or others say is better. Do you value the relationship?

She wouldn't have asked for my opinion if she didn't value it in some way
Was kinda joking. Should have used some of these. [emoji23] [emoji12] [emoji2] [emoji8] [emoji3] sorry.

Ok what about the d4s, she has her heart set on that one. How's the low light between the 810 750 and the d4s?

Thanks for all the help
D4S is a monster, until the D5 will be out it is still (for a very short time) king of the hill.

D4S is a sports camera, not portrait, not landscape but a sports/wildlife beast.
Blazing fast shutter speed, bullet proof body that is build like a tank, huge buffer.
To me it look like you GF needs more a general use camera and not a sports/wildlife dedicated camera.
It can be a good general use camera too but For this task it has very little advantage over the D750 exept the better low light performance.
Even used these are expensive cameras and it is also big and heavy.

If this is her dream and you got the money then get it, me personally I still would want the D750 because it matches better the task and in the money difference I can buy myself more lenses.

If she loves her 7100 for its low-light performance, wait until she hits FF. She will be blown away!

I've seen a lot of good things about the D750 for weddings, it's probably the better choice for her.

And the money saved against the D4S, she could get a 70-200 2.8 to complement that 24-70 of hers :)

A heavier and bulkier sports and wildlife camera over a lighter more compact D750,a great all around camera with a tilting screen with good video capability's as well .The D750 makes more sense IMO.

There are no bad cameras with the ones you suggest. However, other than the weight difference, and you really needing 24mp, there really is no comparison between a d750 and Nikon pro d4s for a pro shooting varied scenarios like you mentioned.

Image quality is not really the issue with any of them. A pro spec d3s/d4/d4s is more customisable, extremely well build, is able to take shots into thousands with its battery, automatic has portrait grip and can shoot faster fps for longer. These cameras also can take abuse, but this can be a double edged sword when buying one.

Pros may not love or take care of their cameras like enthusiasts do

We don't even know what she shoots.

It gets down to taste really.

D3s:
+ built "like a tank", builtin portrait orientation grip, huge battery
+ huge and bright viewfinder
+ old style Nikon ergonomics, which many prefer
+ etc

D750:
+ smaller and more lightweight
+ tiltscreen (upwards and down)
+ more modern features like 1080p60 video
+ programmable modes U1, U2
+ builtin WiFi
+ etc

They are both lowlight beasts. They dont offer as extreme low ISOs as the D4 and D4s and the newest D5. But at the ISOs they offer, they wont have less performance.

So she shoots weddings, portraits, families, animals, low light, intense light, you know what every photographer shoots, EVERYTHING!
For the record, you didnt mention:

- landscape
- action and sports
- macro

Which are also all huge and important fields.

I havent done enough research currently and i see the D3S only has 12.1 MP.
So how many Megapixels are enough, exactly ?

Because if 12 Megapixels arent enough, then 24 Megapixels very likely wont be enough either. Double the Megapixels only gives 40% more resolution - its very hard to even actually see that difference. Frankly impossible unless you print really, really large.

Rent each camera for a weekend and let her decide.

Most reactions

Back